The Ottumwa Courier

November 1, 2013

Authorities capture suspect in Iowa shooting death


Ottumwa Courier

---- — SIOUX CITY, Iowa (AP) — The search for a suspect in the killing of an Iowa man whose body was dumped in South Dakota came to an end Thursday with authorities announcing his arrest.

A phone tip led to Martin Castellanos' capture, Sioux City Police Chief Doug Young said during a news conference, according to the Sioux City Journal (http://bit.ly/1aXnZSH ). The 20-year-old Castellanos was taken into custody without incident, and no weapons were found, the newspaper reported.

Young said police received information Thursday afternoon about a vehicle that matched the description of one belonging to Castellanos. Officers then went to various areas in Sioux City where they believed Castellanos might show up.

They arrested him a short time later. Young said detectives would be interviewing Castellanos and that the vehicle would be processed by crime scene technicians.

The search for Castellanos began Sunday following the discovery of a partially burned body in a ditch alongside a gravel road about five miles east of Interstate 29's Exit 64 between Canton and Sioux Falls. Investigators determined that Adrian Rojas-Hernandez, 20, had been fatally shot in Sioux City earlier in the day. Police later issued an arrest warrant for Castellanos.

"We don't believe he left Sioux City," Young said.

A task force headed by the U.S. Marshals Service helped with the search.

Ricardo Vital, 22, has been arrested in the case and charged as an accessory after the fact. He is accused of driving a car used to move Rojas-Hernandez's body. Police say he also cleaned up blood and disposed of clothing and bedding.

------

Information from: Sioux City Journal, http://www.siouxcityjournal.com