The Associated Press
---- — Your daily look at late-breaking news, upcoming events and the stories that will be talked about Tuesday:
1. OBAMA PESSIMISTIC ON SYRIA VOTE
One night before his address to the nation, the president also declined to say what he would do if Congress rejected his call for military strikes on the Assad regime.
2. DAMASCUS MOVE CALLED "POTENTIALLY POSITIVE"
In a surprise move brokered by Russia and John Kerry, Syria welcomes the idea of turning over all of its chemical weapons for destruction, but Obama is skeptical.
3. ZIMMERMAN IN DOMESTIC INCIDENT WITH WIFE
Shellie Zimmerman decides not to press charges against her estranged husband after claiming he threatened her with a gun, but later changed her story, police say.
4. WHY SOME QUESTION SHOOTING DEATH OF 107-YEAR-OLD
The response by an Arkansas SWAT team in the killing of a centenarian has raised questions among some residents even as authorities say Monroe Isadore shot first.
5. A UNIQUE WAY TO MAKE A CONFESSION
Saying he "made a mistake" by driving after a night of heavy drinking, an Ohio man confessed in an online video to causing a fatal wrong-way crash.
6. FULL-SIZED VAN GOGH CANVAS DISCOVERED
A painting that sat for six decades in a Norwegian industrialist's attic after he was told it was a fake is pronounced the real thing.
7. ROBOHAND SOMETHING RIGHT OUT OF A SCI-FI MOVIE
A South African carpenter who lost his fingers in a circular saw accident uses innovation to help create his own artificial hand.
8. APPLE EXPECTED TO EXPAND IPHONE SELECTION
There's speculation Apple will unveil a cheaper model alongside its regular, premium version.
9. RAFAEL NADAL WINS 13TH MAJOR
The Spaniard beat Novak Djokovic in four sets to claim his second U.S. Open title and trails only Federer and Sampras in major championships.
10. NASCAR HITS MICHAEL WALTRIP RACING
AP's Jenna Fryer reports that Ryan Newman will replace Martin Truex Jr. in the Sprint Cup playoffs as part of penalties against Waltrip's team for manipulating the outcome at Richmond.