Sixty-six percent of adults will celebrate Halloween in 2013, spending an estimated $6.9 billion dollars on the holiday, down from $8 billion in 2012. Some people will go all-out, including dressing up their pets, while others will just hand out candy at their doors.
- Southeast Iowa
- Iowa court gives green light to solar energy deals IOWA CITY, Iowa (AP) — The Iowa Supreme Court says a solar energy company can sell electricity directly to businesses and governments, giving a boost to the burgeoning form of renewable energy. The 4-2 ruling in favor of Eagle Point Solar could exped
- Officials find emerald ash borer in Henry County MOUNT PLEASANT, Iowa (AP) — Officials say larva found on a tree in Henry County has been identified as an emerald ash borer. A team that includes officials from the Iowa Department of Agriculture and Land Stewardship said in a news release Friday tha
Kraig Van Hulzen fills vacant seat
OSKALOOSA — There will be a new member of the Oskaloosa School Board when the group convenes for its August meeting. The board met Tuesday night with the evening ending with the appointment of Kraig Van Hulzen as a new board member.Board member Charl
- Burlington moves post office due to sewage water BURLINGTON, Iowa (AP) — Burlington has relocated its post office services after sewage water flooded several feet of its current building. Post office spokeswoman Stacy St. John says the flooding and failure of a lift station caused 9 feet of sewage
3M Gives donates to Theater
3M Gives presented the Grand Theater Foundation with a $20,000 check Thursday morning, July 10. The donation was a major part of the $75,000 the foundation raised in six days.
- Butterfly presentation at Drake Public Library Carrie Stivers will give a presentation on butterflies for the Children’s Summer Reading Program Saturday, July 12 at 10 a.m. at the Drake Public Library in Centerville. Stivers’ interest in butterflies began in 1992 when she started working with the
Survey shows colleges flouting sexual assault rules
More than 40 percent of 440 colleges and universities surveyed by Sen. Claire McCaskill, D-Mo., haven't investigated a sexual assault in the past five years, according to a report released Wednesday.
- Celebrating 35 years of hot rods The last 35 years has gone by quick. This weekend, July 11-12, the 35th Annual Bologna Nationals Classic Car Show, hosted by Resurrected Tin, will be held in Pella.Resurrected Tin is a local classic car organization.“It was started by a group of hot
- Bonaparte man sentenced for assault BONAPARTE — A Bonaparte man has been sentenced to serve up to seven years in prison after he pled guilty to assault after an altercation May 1 in Bonaparte. Dimitrious Roosevelt Royal, 44, 411 Fourth St., Apartment 20, pled guilty to lesser-included
Central College joins Alliance for Resilient Campuses
A group of 35 campuses has banded together to help ensure their communities are strong enough to weather challenges.
- More Southeast Iowa Headlines