Super Bowl Sunday is America's unofficial holiday, and the buildup to the game is matched only by the anticipation of the commercials during the game. Here is our list of 10 of the most memorable spots in Super Bowl history.
McDonalds Showdown (1993)
The NBA was arguably at the height of its popularity when the fast food giant aired this spot during Super Bowl XXVII. The premise was simple: the game's biggest stars -- Larry Bird and Michael Jordan -- in a game of H-O-R-S-E, with a Big Mac for the winner.
Pepsi: Your Cheatin' Heart (1996)
A classically clever spot in which a Coca-Cola delivery man tries to swipe a Pepsi from an adjacent cooler. Comic touch: The inclusion of Hank Williams Jr.'s iconic country ballad. Oh, and the security camera view.
Coke: Mean Joe Greene (1980)
This spot, which actually premiered during the Major League Baseball playoffs in 1979, won a Cannes Gold Lion for advertising excellence and has consistently been voted among the best Super Bowl commercials of all time. It also changed "Mean" Joe Greene's image. "I was suddenly approachable," Greene recalled recently. "Little kids were no longer afraid of me, and older people would come up and offer me a Coke."
Budweiser: Frogs (1995)
The commercial itself was simple enough: Three frogs in a swamp each croaking a syllable of the beer company's name. But the ad in many ways defined Super Bowl advertising in the 90s and became a cultural phenomenon.
Apple: Macintosh (1984)
Many still consider this not only the best Super Bowl commercial ever, but the best commercial ever, period. Directed by Ridley Scott, the spot aired only once, during the third quarter of Super Bowl XVIII, and is widely credited with helping make advertising during the big game must-see TV.
Monster: When I Grow Up (1999)
Monster.com's first Super Bowl ad paid off for the jobs website in a big way. Having small children recite such hackneyed business jargon as "I want to claw my way up to middle management" resonated in a big way with many viewers.
Budweiser: Welcome Home (2003)
With the memory of 9/11 still fresh in many people's minds, and with the US less than two months away from invading Iraq, Budweiser tugged at the heartstrings of many viewers with this memorable -- and wordless -- one-minute spot during Super Bowl XXXVII.
E-Trade: Talking Baby (2012)
This was the first commercial in the financial services company's famed "Talking Baby" franchise, featuring a toddler in front of a webcam discussing the particulars of online investing and stock trading in an adult voice -- usually with a deadpan delivery.
Doritos: Man's Best Friend (2012)
Doritos has aired its share of racy Super Bowl ads, but this one used a simple comic premise -- a Great Dane covering up evidence and using Doritos to quiet the sole witness to his crime -- to score big with viewers.
Dodge: Farmer (2013)
Dodge used radio broadcaster Paul Harvey's "God Made A Farmer" speech, together with compelling still images depicting farm life, to great effect in this two-minute spot that was shared nearly two million times via social media during and following the game.
- Southeast Iowa
- Chohan arrested for sex offenses On March 7, 2014, at approximately 5:15 pm, members of the Pella Police Department arrested Nyran Chohan, 19, of Pella, and charged him with 3 counts of Sex Abuse in the 3rd degree. The charges arise from a series of events occurring in the community
- Humphrey inducted into Hall of Fame The Iowa Rural Water Association is pleased to announce that John Humphrey with the Rathbun Regional Water Association has been inducted into the IRWA Hall of Fame. Mr. Humphrey was presented this honor during the Iowa Rural Water Association's 39th
Peace group attacks deputy
FAIRFIELD -- An angry mob, broken windows and thrown rocks interrupted the pursuit of world peace Tuesday. Concerned security officers called the Jefferson County Sheriff's Office around 6 a.m. Guards were going t
- Blakesburg breezes through public hearings BLAKESBURG — The Blakesburg City Council on Monday moved quickly through the four public hearings scheduled prior to the regular monthly meeting. The council approved Blakesburg Historical Preservation Society (BHPS) requests to include the USDA reim
- Police respond to potential threats at Fairfield High School FAIRFIELD — Officers of the Fairfield Police Department were involved with an investigation at the Fairfield High School Monday, which turned up no immediate safety concerns. FHS staff contacted the police department at approximately 8:30 a.m. Monday
Pella man arrested for sex offenses
Pella police say a 19-year-old man faces three counts of third degree sexual abuse.
Supreme Court denies Cobbins request
The Iowa Supreme Court has denied convicted murderer Terry Cobbins' application for further review.
VIDEO: Family rescued from ferocious feline
A family in Portland, Ore., called 911 after their pet cat scratched their son and "went over the edge," forcing them to take refuge in a bedroom.
- FACE Offers Peek at Art Center & Studios OSKALOOSA -- The public got a sneak peek at the Oskaloosa Art Center & Studios Friday evening. The art center is located at 1701 Third Ave. E., Suite 3. The Fine Arts and Cultural Events of Mahaska County organization leased the site at Heartland Mal
Rider facing count in Warren County
On Friday, March 7, the Carlisle Police Department filed a criminal complaint charging Knoxville High School Head Football Coach/PE Teacher Troy Neil Rider with sexual exploitation by a school employee.
- More Southeast Iowa Headlines