-In 1928, $400 was raised for playground equipment in West Market Park. In 1929, the club gave windmills to the city of Pella for each entrance and the Sunken Gardens Park.
-In 1930, a drinking fountain was installed in West Market Park.
-In 1937 a wading pool was put in and then later filled with sand. Members felt supervising play activities was important and later hired a supervisor to look after youngsters at play during the day.
-Through out the years Chautauquas were brought to Pella and held on Lincoln School grounds.
-The Club was instrumental in supporting a Camp Fire Girls program in Pella.
-The Club packed boxes of clothing for Russian War relief in the mid 1940s and also held talent and variety shows.
-The club members helped with vaccinations in the community.
-They approached the City Council for city pick-up of garbage and many other civic projects.
-In 1974, The Parade of Provinces Float was initiated. To this day it is an important part of the Tulip Time Parade. Club member, Elinor Bogaard yearly finds women with appropriate Dutch Costumes to ride on the float.
-In 1995, the Club decided to withdraw from the General Federation of Women’s Clubs and is now known as The Pella Women’s Club. Our purpose, as stated in our Constitution, “shall be individual development, united effort toward harmony, charity and that broad culture which comes through education and service to others.
In the past few years, only one fund raiser has been held; that is the Annual Card Party, usually held in November. All profits are dispersed to local charities. Many of the members are very active in other organizations, volunteer work and church groups. Due to this, some of the activities are now being performed by other groups.
Pella Women’s Club meetings are held monthly from September through May. They meet the third Tuesday of each month at the United Methodist Church, 1414 University St. in Pella, unless otherwise designated. Refreshments are served following the meetings which begin promptly at 1:30 p.m., unless otherwise designated. Guests are always welcome at all meetings.
Membership is open to all women. Annual dues are $15, payable in May for the following year. Associate membership dues are $20. Associate members may be asked to co-host with a regular member and maybe asked to serve on some committees.