Do Halloween festivities leave you with a surplus of candy each year? Repurpose all that sugary goodness with these Pinterest recipes, then share your creations family and friends.
- Southeast Iowa
Frigid U.S. weather means highest power prices since '08
Freezing temperatures gripping the eastern U.S. will result in the highest electricity prices in six years for consumers in Boston, Dallas and San Francisco.
Announcement on hydroelectric plant coming March 27
Bill Radio with Missouri River Energy Services (MRES) said this week that there is little to report regarding the progress of his company's hydroelectric plant project at Lake Red Rock. Radio said bids are coming in for the plant's construction and t
- National Alliance on Mental Illness forming Appanoose chapter There will be a planning meeting to discuss the formation of a National Alliance on Mental Illness chapter here in Appanoose County on Tuesday, March 11 at 4 p.m. at the First United Methodist Church at 410 N. Main St. in Centerville. NAMI is the na
- Senators' tempers flare in otherwise calm debate DES MOINES, Iowa (AP) — Two southeast Iowa lawmakers shouted at each other on the Senate floor during debate on a bill about home health care. The unusual episode started Tuesday when Sen. Mark Chelgren, an Ottumwa Republican, suggested Democratic Se
- Van Buren Conference Board OKs Assessor's budget KEOSAUQUA — The Van Buren Conference Board last week approved the assessor’s office proposed budget 2-1 despite some objections from board members. The conference board is make up of mayors, supervisors and school board members. There are three votes
- Quilt guild to present Quilts of Valor The Material Girlz Quilt Guild will honor our service people during the second Quilts of Valor program at Honey of a Quilt Show at Honey Creek Resort on Sunday, March 9 at 2 p.m. The quilts are a special project undertaken by the Material Girlz Quilt
Polar vortex may prove to be a powerful pesticide
The deep freeze, with arctic blasts from the polar vortex, has put invasive insects on ice in dozens of states. That includes the emerald ash borer, a pretty bug that does ugly things to ecosystems it invades.
- OHS History Bowl team crowned JV champs OSKALOOSA -- Oskaloosa High School sent a Junior Varsity team to the Regional National History Bowl that was held in Sigourney on Saturday and the team came home champions. It was the first time that Oskaloosa had competed in this event. High scho
Casey's pledges $25K to Expand the Dream
Casey’s General Stores has renewed its commitment to the National Sprint Car Hall of Fame & Museum by pledging $25,000 to the museum foundation’s “Expand the Dream” campaign.
- Iowa gov. launches teacher leadership program DES MOINES, Iowa (AP) — Nearly 40 school districts, including Ottumwa and Pella, have been selected to initiate teacher leadership programs next school year as part of Iowa's 2013 education reform plan. Iowa Gov. Terry Branstad and Department of Educ
- More Southeast Iowa Headlines
- Frigid U.S. weather means highest power prices since '08