OTTUMWA — It's a weekend of Easter celebrations, historic events and educational opportunities in southeast Iowa. Many people are gathered together this weekend, and the surrounding communities have scheduled events perfect for the whole family.
1. Share in an opportunity to remember the life and work of Jesus and a time of prayer this Easter weekend with the Good Friday Prayer Walk through downtown Ottumwa. Sponsored by the Ottumwa Area Fellowship of Pastors, the walk will start in the parking lot of First Christian Church and end at Trinity Episcopal Church with a short service. Refreshments will follow.
2. Hit the road and join the Bentonsport Historic District for its new season open house from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Saturday. Sample artisan bread, attend the artist demonstrations and sign up for the many drawings. Many of the shops will have new items for sale, and you can learn about the new lodgings and newly renovated buildings.
3. It's a huge event at the White House, and the annual Easter Egg Roll at our "White House," the American Gothic House, is no different. Kids are invited to Eldon from 1-3 p.m. Saturday for the egg roll, spring-themed crafts and other activities. Admission is free, and the event is sponsored by the American Gothic House Center and Gothic Area Tourism of Eldon. For more information, call 641-652-4452.
4. The Southern Iowa Chapter of Friends of the NRA banquet will be held Saturday at Bridge View Center. Social hour begins at 5 p.m. with dinner at 7 p.m. Money raised from the event will be used to teach youth about the Second Amendment, as well as funding firearm safety programs and educational events. There will be merchandise, games, auctions and raffles as fundraisers. For more information, call 641-680-8484.
5. Churches across the area will be celebrating Easter Sunday with worship services and community meals. Many will have sunrise services and either a breakfast or brunch before regular worship. Some are also hosting activities sponsored by their youth groups. If you don't have a home church, find out the special schedules and activities planned.
— Follow reporter Laura Carrell on Twitter @CourierLauraC