“I have been to these schools and I know these principals care for their students,” said Drost. “How can these be that low?”
Cooksley and board member Nik Rule said part of the problem is not enough responses so the data, while valuable, may not be as valid as it would be if there were more responses. Rule and Cooksley said in data evaluations at least 30 percent is an acceptable rate to determine validity. Cooksley said the team would continue to look at other ways to increase parent participation.
In his report to the board, Reiter said he has been in contact with an architect to consider how to handle the flooring issues at the high school. A settlement has been proposed with the original contractor and could be finalized in the next few weeks depending on an appeal. Reiter said he would suggest bringing the architect in May or June to discuss the issues.
Reiter said they looked at the elementary school to consider how the best way to access additional classroom space. He said the architect indicated the changing of the courtyards into classroom space would be more costly than adding space. The architect indicated the addition of pods on the east and west extensions may be the best option.
In other business:
• Heard a presentation from YMCA Executive Director Dawn Collins regarding the YMCA annual report. The report is made to the district as part of the organization’s report to stakeholders.
• Held public hearing and approved the 2014-15 budget. No member of the public was on hand to speak. The district is asking a $14.95 per $1,000 evaluation.
• Agreed to purchase two diesel busses from Hogeland Bus Company for $97,488 each.
• Approved a resolution to support the Oskaloosa Blue Zone Certification.
• Approved specifications to receive bids for provision of milk.
• Approved increase of adult lunches by 10 cents to $3.35 for the 2014-15 school year.
• Approved agreement with Iowa Education Purchasing for cooperative food purchases.
• Approved a resolution to participate in the 2015 hazard mitigation with the multi-jurisdiction plan.
• Scheduled a public hearing for a budget amendment for current budget year. Hearing will be held on Tuesday, May 13, at 7 p.m.