- Southeast Iowa
Legislators, Raceway work on $2M sales tax rebate
Rep. Greg Heartsill (R-Columbia) has introduced a bill that would rebate $2 million, or no more than 25 percent of the costs, of improvements at the Knoxville Raceway.
Public tees-off to support the YMCA
OSKALOOSA -- People teed-off Friday and Saturday to support the Mahaska County YMCA at the Osky Winter Open at Penn Central Mall. Individuals, families, businesses and students played 18 holes of miniature golf in Central Court of Penn Central Mall a
- What is the Free File program and is it affiliated with the IRS? Q: Is there a one-stop shop for frequently asked questions during tax filing season? A: The Nobel-winning physicist Albert Einstein reportedly said, "the hardest thing in the world to understand is the income tax." That's something coming from the ma
- Group to push environmental panel for clean water DES MOINES, Iowa (AP) — Organizers for grassroots environmental group Iowa Citizens for Community Improvement say they plan to have at least 60 members at the Iowa Environmental Protection Commission meeting to pressure the state for stricter livesto
- Dark side of the thaw OTTUMWA — That snow may look light and fluffy, but a few hundred square feet of it sitting on your roof can weigh a ton — or more. "On average, 6 inches of snow will add 10,000 pounds to your roof load, and this year we are seeing 12 inches to 16 inc
No lack of support shown at Jefferson
Earlier this month, staff at Jefferson Elementary in Pella made their support for a colleague clear as she faces kidney cancer.
- Crop values decline on lower corn, soybean prices DES MOINES, Iowa (AP) — The value of crops fell last year as corn and soybeans prices declined from record highs the year before. The U.S. Department of Agriculture says in an annual report the value of 2013 field crops fell 9.8 percent to nearly $16
Samoas, Thin Mints and business ethics
But these lessons aren't learned when Scouts sell outside grocery stores or via mobile app, or, even worse, when parents ask their colleagues to purchase Girl Scout cookies, a query I recently received at a casual work lunch. My friend wasn't prepared for the lecture that followed. I'd be more than happy to buy cookies from his daughter, I said, but only if she called me on the phone to personally ask for the sale.
Special Olympics hosts Young Athlete Play Day in Oskaloosa
This is the fifth annual event and it's coming up Feb. 20.
- Deere announces record first-quarter earnings MOLINE, Ill. -- Net income attributable to Deere & Company was $681.1 million, or $1.81 per share, for the first quarter ended Jan. 31, 2013, compared with $649.7 million, or $1.65 per share, for the same period last year. Worldwide net sales and rev
- More Southeast Iowa Headlines
- Legislators, Raceway work on $2M sales tax rebate