What the StudentsFirst group is looking for:
• State law “must facilitate digital learning by allowing certification for online instruction” as well as “eliminating mandatory ‘seat time’ laws” for kids being in classrooms.
• They promote paying effective teachers more but define “effective” in large part by student test scores.
• State law and district policy should not mandate higher teacher salaries for master’s degrees or additional education credits.
• StudentsFirst is against the idea of tenure, which they say creates “rules and regulations [which] make removing even the most unmotivated and ineffective teachers nearly impossible.”
• States must reduce legal barriers to entry in the teaching profession, like “complicated credentialing or certification [which use] factors [which] do not correlate with teacher effectiveness.”