There is a deja vu aspect to the Emmy Awards, the annual television celebration that usually begins with a gimmicky musical number or comedy sketch and ends with "Mad Men" winning a best drama statuette.
The repetitiveness of the affair might have convinced some viewers that all the repeat nominees we see year after year already have at least one win to their credit. But a number do not. I call them the Almost Winners, the often nominated but (so far) never triumphant television stars. Ten have earned nods in major categories again this year. If you're seeking underdogs to root for during Sunday's big event, airing on ABC, these are the people to champion:
1. Jon Hamm
For all the hype about how "Mad Men" wins every year, it's worth noting that not a single one of its actors has captured an Emmy yet. And that includes the man who brings Don Draper to heavy-drinking, smooth-sales-pitching life; this year marks the fifth time he has been nominated.
2. Michael C. Hall
"Dexter's" serial killer, like Hamm, is going for his fifth attempt to win in best actor in a drama. He also lost in the same race back when he was playing a non-murderous undertaker on "Six Feet Under."
3. Elisabeth Moss
The actress who plays "Mad Men's" Peggy Olson has struck out on three occasions but will step up to the Emmy plate for a fourth time.
4. Christina Hendricks
Oh, look, another "Mad Men" star who hasn't won. Hendricks, a.k.a. the shapely and smart-as-a-whip silent partner Joan Holloway, is up for her third nomination as best supporting actress in a drama.
5. Amy Poehler
Poehler's Leslie Knope won an election on last season's "Parks and Recreation." So maybe she'll finally win the Emmy for best actress in a comedy on her third try? (For those keeping score, she also lost twice in the supporting actress category when she was on "Saturday Night Live.")
6. Ryan Seacrest
The ubiquitous media personality has been recognized for five years running in the best reality-show host category, for his work on "American Idol." With perennial winner Jeff Probst not nominated this time, maybe this will be his year. Unless . . .
7. Tom Bergeron
. . . it turns out to be the "Dancing With the Stars" emcee's year. Like Seacrest, he's landed in the reality host category annually since 2008, the year it was created.
8. Connie Britton
She was never nominated for "Spin City" and missed twice for her role as Tami Taylor on "Friday Night Lights." But Britton's a contender again, this time for lead actress in a miniseries for birthing a freaky baby on "American Horror Story."
9. Ed O'Neill
This is only the second time O'Neill has gotten a nod as crusty Jay Pritchett on "Modern Family." But given all his years on "Married With Children," some might think he has more nominations or wins under the belt that used to provide such an ideal resting place for his hand. He doesn't.
10. Larry David
Emmy voters have nominated David five times for his etiquette-less portrayal of himself on "Curb Your Enthusiasm," but his name has never been the one read from the dais. He does, however, have two non-acting Emmys from his "Seinfeld" days. So if he loses again Sunday, you know, yadda yadda yadda.
- MTV Movie Awards big Hollywood studio plug-fest LOS ANGELES (AP) — Last year, the MTV Movie Awards moved up its broadcast date from June to April to incorporate a summer movie plug-fest. Sunday night's show cemented that change as clips from anticipated blockbusters debuted at the madcap ceremony.
- Five things to do in southeast Iowa this weekend OTTUMWA — Music, monster trucks and memorable moments — this weekend will bring an eclectic mix of performing arts, sports, activities and informational sessions to the region. 1. Start the weekend by taking special care of your furry friends. Noah’s
- FXX plans marathon telecast of 'The Simpsons' NEW YORK (AP) — The FXX network plans a marathon telecast this summer of episodes of "The Simpsons" — all 552 of them consecutively. The network said Wednesday the marathon will start Aug. 21 and continue into Labor Day. FXX programming chief Chuck S
- CNN bringing back Anthony Bourdain's hot series NEW YORK (AP) — Anthony Bourdain has traveled to all sorts of exotic places over the past couple of years, with none as important as where he's taken CNN itself. Bourdain's "Parts Unknown" series, a culinary travelogue, swiftly became the network's t
Tonic Sol-fa to hit the stage Saturday night
OTTUMWA — Tonic Sol-fa will be bringing almost 20 years of a cappella excellence to the Bridge View Center Saturday evening. The instantly recognizable sound and award-winning music begin at 7:30 p.m. Tonic Sol-fa began at St. John's University with
- Barbara Walters sets May 16 for exit NEW YORK (AP) — Barbara Walters plans to make her final appearance on "The View" on May 16, part of a daylong retirement celebration that will include ABC News naming its New York headquarters after her. Later that night, ABC will air a two-hour prim
- Iconic Hollywood actor Mickey Rooney dies at 93 LOS ANGELES (AP) — Mickey Rooney's approach to life was simple: "Let's put on a show!" He spent nine decades doing it, on the big screen, on television, on stage and in his extravagant personal life. A superstar in his youth, Rooney was Hollywood's t
- Church Basement Ladies bring all-new musical to Bridge View OTTUMWA — The Church Basement Ladies are back with an all-new musical comedy, A Mighty Fortress is Our Basement. The fourth installment of the Church Basement ladies series of musical comedies, A Mighty Fortress is Our Basement will be presented Thur
- Hasbro picks five 'house rules' for new Monopoly set NEW YORK (AP) — No rent collection while in jail, double the dough for landing on Go and clean out Free Parking if your luck takes you there are among five made-up Monopoly rules Facebook fans voted in for future editions of the board game. Several t
Five things to do in southeast Iowa this weekend
OTTUMWA — If you can't find something to do this weekend in southeast Iowa, you're not looking hard enough. The next three days are filled with fun and interesting activities you'll want to attend, so your calendar will fill up quickly. 1. The offici
- More Entertainment Headlines