There is a deja vu aspect to the Emmy Awards, the annual television celebration that usually begins with a gimmicky musical number or comedy sketch and ends with "Mad Men" winning a best drama statuette.
The repetitiveness of the affair might have convinced some viewers that all the repeat nominees we see year after year already have at least one win to their credit. But a number do not. I call them the Almost Winners, the often nominated but (so far) never triumphant television stars. Ten have earned nods in major categories again this year. If you're seeking underdogs to root for during Sunday's big event, airing on ABC, these are the people to champion:
1. Jon Hamm
For all the hype about how "Mad Men" wins every year, it's worth noting that not a single one of its actors has captured an Emmy yet. And that includes the man who brings Don Draper to heavy-drinking, smooth-sales-pitching life; this year marks the fifth time he has been nominated.
2. Michael C. Hall
"Dexter's" serial killer, like Hamm, is going for his fifth attempt to win in best actor in a drama. He also lost in the same race back when he was playing a non-murderous undertaker on "Six Feet Under."
3. Elisabeth Moss
The actress who plays "Mad Men's" Peggy Olson has struck out on three occasions but will step up to the Emmy plate for a fourth time.
4. Christina Hendricks
Oh, look, another "Mad Men" star who hasn't won. Hendricks, a.k.a. the shapely and smart-as-a-whip silent partner Joan Holloway, is up for her third nomination as best supporting actress in a drama.
5. Amy Poehler
Poehler's Leslie Knope won an election on last season's "Parks and Recreation." So maybe she'll finally win the Emmy for best actress in a comedy on her third try? (For those keeping score, she also lost twice in the supporting actress category when she was on "Saturday Night Live.")
6. Ryan Seacrest
The ubiquitous media personality has been recognized for five years running in the best reality-show host category, for his work on "American Idol." With perennial winner Jeff Probst not nominated this time, maybe this will be his year. Unless . . .
7. Tom Bergeron
. . . it turns out to be the "Dancing With the Stars" emcee's year. Like Seacrest, he's landed in the reality host category annually since 2008, the year it was created.
8. Connie Britton
She was never nominated for "Spin City" and missed twice for her role as Tami Taylor on "Friday Night Lights." But Britton's a contender again, this time for lead actress in a miniseries for birthing a freaky baby on "American Horror Story."
9. Ed O'Neill
This is only the second time O'Neill has gotten a nod as crusty Jay Pritchett on "Modern Family." But given all his years on "Married With Children," some might think he has more nominations or wins under the belt that used to provide such an ideal resting place for his hand. He doesn't.
10. Larry David
Emmy voters have nominated David five times for his etiquette-less portrayal of himself on "Curb Your Enthusiasm," but his name has never been the one read from the dais. He does, however, have two non-acting Emmys from his "Seinfeld" days. So if he loses again Sunday, you know, yadda yadda yadda.
- 'Game of Thrones' earns a leading 19 Emmy nods LOS ANGELES (AP) — The fantasy saga "Game of Thrones," defying the Emmy Awards' grudging respect for genre fare, emerged as the leader in the nominations announced Thursday with 19 bids, including best drama series. The meth kingpin drama "Breaking B
- Daytime Emmys red-carpet banter turns dark LOS ANGELES (AP) — When four social media divas were handed red-carpet and backstage interviewing duties for the Daytime Emmys, the result was anything but Hollywood magic. The women who hosted the Emmy pre-show Sunday appeared largely ignorant about
Los Lobos headlining FAIRfest Friday
FAIRFIELD — Three-time Grammy-winning band Los Lobos has strong ties to Iowa, and that connection will be solidified this weekend as the iconic group headlines FAIRfest while on its 40th anniversary tour. Los Lobos will perform Friday night during th
- Five things to do in southeast Iowa this weekend OTTUMWA — When the weather forecast says "slight chance of thunderstorms" all weekend, you can make two sets of plans. Have a set of activities to enjoy outdoors, but have a backup plan for staying in out of the rain. 1. Outside: Get your landscaping
- Author Maya Angelou dies at 86 in North Carolina NEW YORK (AP) — Maya Angelou was gratified, but not surprised by her extraordinary fortune. "I'm not modest," she told The Associated Press in 2013. "I have no modesty. Modesty is a learned behavior. But I do pray for humility, because humility comes
Bill Cosby proves he's 'Far From Finished'
OTTUMWA — Talking to comedian Bill Cosby for just a few moments, you suddenly understand how appropriate the name of his "Far From Finished Tour" really is. One of the most legendary personalities of all time, Cosby is coming to spend an evening in O
- Networks' plea to viewers: Watch now! NEW YORK (AP) — One day into the annual week where television's biggest networks reveal their future programming plans and it was clear what the buzzword was going to be: Eventize. No matter whether it's a word or not, broadcasters talked frequently
- High court to hear dispute about TV over Internet WASHINGTON (AP) — Thirty years after failing to convince the Supreme Court of the threat posed by home video recordings, big media companies are back and now trying to rein in another technological innovation they say threatens their financial well-b
- MTV Movie Awards big Hollywood studio plug-fest LOS ANGELES (AP) — Last year, the MTV Movie Awards moved up its broadcast date from June to April to incorporate a summer movie plug-fest. Sunday night's show cemented that change as clips from anticipated blockbusters debuted at the madcap ceremony.
- Five things to do in southeast Iowa this weekend OTTUMWA — Music, monster trucks and memorable moments — this weekend will bring an eclectic mix of performing arts, sports, activities and informational sessions to the region. 1. Start the weekend by taking special care of your furry friends. Noah’s
- More Entertainment Headlines