When you go to the polls on Nov. 6 or when you vote early in this year’s election, you will have a number of opportunities to vote for various individuals who will be our representatives at the local, state and federal levels. In the city of Ottumwa and Wapello County, you will also have an opportunity to vote for continued progress by voting “Yes” to extend the Local Option Sales Tax. To be clear, we already have the Local Option Sales Tax in place in Ottumwa and Wapello County, and we already benefit in many ways. By voting “Yes” for the Local Option Sales Tax, you will be voting to continue the benefits that we currently receive.
Why should you consider joining with the Ottumwa Economic Development Corporation (OEDC) Board of Directors in voting “Yes” to extend benefits that we receive with the Local Option Sales Tax?
1. In the city of Ottumwa, 90 percent of the revenues will be used for street and/or sewer improvements; and 10 percent of the revenues will be used for property tax relief.
2. The Local Option Sales Tax collects revenue from shoppers that do not live in Ottumwa and Wapello County to be used to improve our streets and sewers and provide property tax relief for our property owners.
3. We will be able to maintain the current positive momentum that we are experiencing in improving our streets and sewers.
4. We will be able to continue to aggressively work at retaining and attracting quality jobs and opportunities to Ottumwa and Wapello County.
5. Quality streets, sewers and other infrastructure are necessary to retain and attract quality jobs to Ottumwa and Wapello County.
We are making some significant headway in Ottumwa and Wapello County with various economic development measures and strategies that we have put in place. Let’s continue the exciting progress that we are making in our community by voting “Yes” to extend the Local Option Sales Tax.
This truly is a measure that is good for Ottumwa and Wapello County ... whether you are a Democrat, Republican or independent ... this is one that we can all agree upon, because a vote “Yes” to extend the Local Option Sales Tax will have a positive effect on all of us.