As you know, the cost of formal education beyond high school has increased at an alarming rate since you were young children. It is now almost impossible for most of you to continue your education without student loans and/or student aid.
The Ryan budget totally eliminates Pell Grants. This budget has passed the House on more than one occasion, Romney has called it a “marvelous” budget, and he has indicated that he would sign it if given the chance. Romney’s solution is to “borrow money from your parents.”
The Obama Administration has cut more than $60 billion in taxpayer subsidies to big banks and is using the savings to make college more affordable for millions more families.
Obama has doubled investments in Pell Grants and expanded them for 3 million more students. When it is time to pay back the Pell Grant loans, payments are now based on a percentage of the person’s income. This makes repayment much less overwhelming.
Tax breaks have been given to college students and families to make tuition more affordable.
The Obama Administration has been working with colleges and universities to find ways to lower tuition costs.
Obama has stood with community colleges by investing $2 billion to support education and job training programs.
Young adults can now stay on their parents’ health insurance plans until they are 26.
This extends coverage to 3.1 million more young Americans. Also, you cannot be denied coverage because you have a pre-existing condition.
Hopefully you will consider all of these factors when you vote on or before Nov. 6.
- Letters to the Editor
- Why close plant when it could be cleaned up? Doe Run Company, south of St. Louis, is the third-largest lead smelter in the world and the only one in the western hemisphere. They provide for the lead demand in the U.S. and are a major contributor to the world market. On Dec. 31, they close due
- Collect lids and fight breast cancer The Southeast Iowa Affiliate of Susan G. Komen represents a 10-county area in its fight to end breast cancer. Your local affiliate is fighting for the screening and treatment programs that save lives and the research that brings us closer to a cure.
- Who are Tea Party Patriots? First and foremost, if you love God, you may be a Tea Party Patriot. Second, if you love this country we call the United States of America, you may be a Tea Party Patriot. Third, if you value freedom and all the people in our past and present who hav
- Branstad, please use the heart God gave you To Gov. Terry Branstad of Iowa: Please use the heart that God gave you. I am a senior citizen who is suffering needlessly because you have outlawed the only substance that can take away my horrible pain and discomfort. Pharmaceutical narcotics are in
- Library doing many great things for the community This past week was National Friends of the Library week. Here in Ottumwa, our public library would not be able to provide all the materials, resources and programming that it does without the support and assistance provided by our local Ottumwa Publ
- It's up to you to make Ottumwa great If a person were truly honest with themselves every time they bought something they would ask, "Am I getting my money's worth?" If the person selling would truly be honest with themselves they might ask, "Have I met or exceeded my customers' expectat
- Life too complex My knowledge of electronics stops with the on and off switch. I was persuaded to try a new-fangled cell phone. One of the more simple ones. It takes pictures, prints them, records day, date, time. Tells me where I am, where I should be, how I got the
- Think before voting We just had a Sara Palin type month. Now I hear that the Tea Party wants to take over the Republican Party. They think we have too much government. People out of work, not their problem. People living on the streets, they don't care. The Tea Party th
- Why micromanage Halloween? I take no pleasure in composing this letter. Once again another year, the Ottumwa police have made their draconian edict of setting the date and hours for beggars night. It's too bad that even a volunteer kids' holiday has fallen under the auspices o
- Lazio for mayor Elect Tom Lazio Mayor of Ottumwa and the city will have a full-time mayor dedicated to listening and communicating with all citizens. The Mayor of Ottumwa is most importantly the face of the city for prospective employers, current employers and state
- More Letters to the Editor Headlines