Let me see if I have this correct:
• Mitt is on record saying he believes that it is fair for him to pay 14 percent taxes on $20 million and someone making $50,000 to pay 28 percent;
• Claims he wants to get rid of all the tax loopholes except the ones he has profited most from such as off-short accounts and capital gains;
• States on the record that 47 percent of the American people are moochers who believe that the government owes them a living, while in reality, over 90 percent of these people are on Social Security, in the military or work at low-paying jobs that don’t pay enough to pay income taxes;
• Is on record as saying he is for women’s right to choose, is for universal health insurance, favors a ban on assault weapons, says coal mining is a killer while running for governor of a liberal state, but has completely reversed himself on every single one of these issues, even endorsing a candidate who claims getting pregnant from being raped is an “act of God;”
• Touts his ability to work with the opposite party while in office, but in reality had 800-plus of his vetoes overridden while he was governor; tries to appeal to the Hispanic population with his compassion and yet hired the very man who wrote the most anti-immigrant law in the country.
All this and yet we still have a large segment of the population saying “That’s our man!”
I have to wonder what would it take for these supporters to finally find him objectionable — a felony conviction, membership in a racist or radical military group? Probably not even these to most of his supporters.
Let me see if I have this correct:
- Letters to the Editor
- Guardian angel rescued me On Dec. 18, I had been to Walmart and as always, I stopped by the Walmart gas station to fill my car up. I got out, pumped gas and I went to get in the car. I locked my keys in! So I had no choice but go see if the cashier could help me. And lo and b
- Why close plant when it could be cleaned up? Doe Run Company, south of St. Louis, is the third-largest lead smelter in the world and the only one in the western hemisphere. They provide for the lead demand in the U.S. and are a major contributor to the world market. On Dec. 31, they close due
- Collect lids and fight breast cancer The Southeast Iowa Affiliate of Susan G. Komen represents a 10-county area in its fight to end breast cancer. Your local affiliate is fighting for the screening and treatment programs that save lives and the research that brings us closer to a cure.
- Who are Tea Party Patriots? First and foremost, if you love God, you may be a Tea Party Patriot. Second, if you love this country we call the United States of America, you may be a Tea Party Patriot. Third, if you value freedom and all the people in our past and present who hav
- Branstad, please use the heart God gave you To Gov. Terry Branstad of Iowa: Please use the heart that God gave you. I am a senior citizen who is suffering needlessly because you have outlawed the only substance that can take away my horrible pain and discomfort. Pharmaceutical narcotics are in
- Library doing many great things for the community This past week was National Friends of the Library week. Here in Ottumwa, our public library would not be able to provide all the materials, resources and programming that it does without the support and assistance provided by our local Ottumwa Publ
- It's up to you to make Ottumwa great If a person were truly honest with themselves every time they bought something they would ask, "Am I getting my money's worth?" If the person selling would truly be honest with themselves they might ask, "Have I met or exceeded my customers' expectat
- Life too complex My knowledge of electronics stops with the on and off switch. I was persuaded to try a new-fangled cell phone. One of the more simple ones. It takes pictures, prints them, records day, date, time. Tells me where I am, where I should be, how I got the
- Think before voting We just had a Sara Palin type month. Now I hear that the Tea Party wants to take over the Republican Party. They think we have too much government. People out of work, not their problem. People living on the streets, they don't care. The Tea Party th
- Why micromanage Halloween? I take no pleasure in composing this letter. Once again another year, the Ottumwa police have made their draconian edict of setting the date and hours for beggars night. It's too bad that even a volunteer kids' holiday has fallen under the auspices o
- More Letters to the Editor Headlines