Jon Finney said since the county had a carry-over to begin this winter, this might be an ominous sign for next winter.
Barrett said the county has expended $67,683 through the end of January on snow and ice removal.
• Barrett said county road workers placed 3,600 tons of rock in January. The reason they continue to place rock this winter is that “if this snow and ice thaws quickly, it can turn to mud.”
Barrett said he was trying to avoid a repeat of the problems the county had a few years ago.
“We’re trying to keep ahead of it. That’s why we’re hauling rock on frozen roads,” he said.
“I hope it stays on the road,” said Supervisor Bob Waugh.
• The board approved a Class B Wine permit, Class C Beer permit, including Sunday sales, for Boyd Grocery, RR, Keosauqua.
• The following county paid holidays were approved for the 2015FY: Independence Day-Friday, July 4, 2014, Labor Day-Monday, September 1, 2014, Veterans Day-Tuesday, November 11, 2014, Thanksgiving Days-Thursday-Friday, November 27-28, 2014, Christmas Days-Thursday-Friday, December 25-26, 2014, New Years Day-Thursday, January 1, 2015, President’s Day-Monday, February 16, 2015, Memorial Day-Monday, May 25, 2015.
• The following requests for rural tax abatement were approved/denied: Approved- 1) Sonja Hoie, 21659 Iris Trail, Keosauqua (SWSW Section 34-69-10. Van Buren Twp.), 2) Marvin & Doris Thomas, 11743 Rt. J40, Milton (In W ½ SE ¼ Section 32-69-11, Chequest Twp.), 3) Ronald P. & Shirley M. Louth, 20987 115th St., Birmingham (In SENE Section 11-70-10, Lick Creek Twp.), 4) Patricia A. & Milton K. Ames, 23583 Highway 16, Keosauqua (Parcel D in N Prt NWNE, Section 5-69-9, Van Buren Twp.), 5) John Lengacher, 21990 Heather Road (In SESE Section 31-69-10, Van Buren Twp.), 6) Joseph A. Kirkhart, 22025 Gold Ave., Cantril (Prt SESE & Prt NENE Section 36-68-11, Jackson Twp., Denied: SSH Properties-denied due to lack of proof of sewer permit.
• The board approved a two-year labor agreement beginning July 1, 2014, with the VBC Secondary Road Employees and VBC Sheriff’s Deputies/Dispatchers Unions, including the following changes in contracts: VBC Secondary Road Employees Union-Article 6.62-change payout of compensation time dates from June to November, Salary schedule-35¢/hour increase 7/1/2014, 20¢/hour increase 1/1/2015, 45¢/hour increase 7/1/2015, Sheriff Deputies/Dispatchers Employee Union-Article 9-add on call with deputies to be paid $1.25 per hour for all scheduled on call hours, with such hours not counted as hours worked for purposes of computing overtime, Salary schedule-increase 1.5 percent effective 7/1/2014, 1.5 percent effective 1/1/2015, and 2.5 percent effective 7/1/2015.
• A resignation from courthouse custodian Steven Appleman, effective March 28, 2014, was accepted, with regrets.
• The low bid of Hunt & Associates of Oskaloosa was accepted for auditing services for the 2014FY thru 2016FY at a cost of $14,000 for 2014FY, $14,500 for 2015FY, and $15,000 for 2016FY, with additional $1,500 due if a single audit report is required.