PHOTO: Mini Monkey
This miniature monkey, Jackson Langford, 15 months, of Batavia, didn’t even have to say “trick or treat” to get a cookie at Saturday’s Halloween party at the American Gothic House Center.
- Local News
- 5 generations of farming comes to an end BATAVIA — Farmers from around southeast Iowa gathered in Batavia Wednesday for a large farm equipment auction. They braved cold winds for more than two hours for the chance to bid on good, used tractors and other farm implements. It was a good day fo
- Christmas vacation for Ottumwa road construction OTTUMWA—Drivers traveling in Ottumwa during the holiday season shouldn’t get slowed down by road construction, barring any unanticipated events that require immediate attention. Around Ottumwa, drivers will get to keep less of a keen eye on what stre
- Emerald Ash Borer found in fifth Iowa county OTTUMWA — Sitting around a fire on Christmas sounds like the perfect way to spend the holiday. But those who use wood for fireplaces or any other reason should be careful about what kind and where they buy it from. The Emerald Ash Borer (EAB) was fou
- Battlefield to farmer's field OTTUMWA — If soldiers are coming home to Iowa at a time farmers are leaving rural America, there's a pretty clear opportunity. "I think agriculture can provide them not just with a livelihood, but also a sense of continuing service," said Ed Cox, a v
- Local charities get help from non-locals OTTUMWA -- Usually when a donation is made to community organizations, the gift comes from a community member. But that wasn't entirely the case this holiday season for workers at The Ottumwa Generating Station. The admissions-reduction expansion pro
Leaders making a difference
OTTUMWA — Coming up with an idea may require a creative person. But doing something with that idea takes leadership. That's something taught at the Ottumwa Leadership Academy, but many of the students already know that. They're leaders from around th
- Hranicka chairs his last city council meeting KEOSAUQUA — The Keosauqua City Council heard an update on an agreement to build a new swimming pool, learned about a sewer backup that caused thousands of dollars of damage and approved salary increases and job descriptions for city workers during it
- Honey Creek deficit narrows LAKE RATHBUN — The Honey Creek resort destination park continues to run a deficit, though it is lower than in prior years. Revenues topped expenditures in fiscal 2013 by about $200,000. It received $1.5 million from the state as well. If income is hi
- Oskaloosa man dies in accidental shooting OSKALOOSA — An Oskaloosa man died from a gunshot wound at the Hull Shooting range west of Oskaloosa Wednesday afternoon. The Mahaska County Sheriff's Office received a phone call at about 1:30 p.m. stating “there was an individual lying on the ground
Video: Mid-century Ottumwa as seen by the Army
OTTUMWA — A film by the U.S. Army featuring Ottumwa is available on YouTube, and it is a look at a different time.
- More Local News Headlines