By RUSTY EBERT
---- — DOUDS — A Minnesota construction company was the apparent low bidder for the Des Moines River bridge project on Highway 98, Douds.
Minnowa Construction, Inc., located in Harmony, Minn., was one of six contractors who submitted bids. Letting was held Sept. 17.
Work on the bridge replacement could begin this year, possibly as early as late October or November, according to the DOT Engineer’s office in Fairfield. The bridge will be constructed adjacent to the current bridge, allowing for Highway 98 to remain open. The bid was for $5,073,267.19.
According to the DOT five-year plan, the expected cost for the entire project was slated at $6.9 million.
Other bidders were:
• Iowa Bridge and Culvert, LC, Washington $5,073,267.19
• Jensen Construction Company, Des Moines, $5,912,233.29
• Godbersen-Smith Construction, Ida Grove, $5,947,548.48
• United Contractors Inc. and Subsidiaries, Johnston, $5,949,329.46
• Phillips Hardy, Inc. Boonville, MO, $6,983,894.74.
The bridge will be the third Des Moines River bridge the DOT has authorized in the past 10 years. The other two were in Keosauqua (Highway 1) and Farmington (Highway 2).