By HELEN HANNAN Courier correspondent
The Ottumwa Daily Courier
---- — BLAKESBURG — The Blakesburg City Council this week approved the purchase of a new police vehicle — a 2013 four-wheel-drive Chevrolet Silverado pick-up. The purchase price of the fully equipped vehicle, including radar gun, totaled $39,097 with annual payments stretched over four years.
Meanwhile, Visu-Sewer recently began work on the $450,000 sewer improvement project. The council approved payment of the first statement of $11,777. Kent Rice, project manager, warned that the next statement would be much larger. He also explained payment options on how the Community Development Block Grant funds would be paid out.
In other business, the city council:
• Awarded the digging and plumbing bid to Little Daddy at $100 per hour for digging and $75 per hour for plumbing plus $50 round trip charge. This was the only bid submitted as advertised for both digging and plumbing.
• Awarded the trucking bid to 2 D Trucking at $55 per 18-ton load of sand and $85 dollars per 18-ton load of rock. Two other bids were received.
• Approved golf carts and side-by-sides on city streets, providing vehicle and driver meet certain criteria. A copy of the criteria may be obtained from the city clerk during regular office hours.
• Approved first reading of a curfew for minors from 10 p.m. to 5 a.m.
• Approved first reading of new city traffic code which will include the violator’s choice of paying the city fine or the state fine. If the driver chooses the city fine, the violation will not go against the driver’s insurance or driver’s license.
• Approved purchase of new signage to designate truck route, weight limit and engine brakes.
• Approved first reading of change in city refuse burning to read Sunday burning only between noon and 10 p.m. March 15 to April 30 and in the fall from Sept. 15 to Oct. 30.