OTTUMWA — Supervisors Jerry Parker and Greg Kenning have a few Republican fans.
Tuesday evening, Wapello County Board of Supervisors reviewed the results from the June 3 primary election. While Parker and Kenning handily won the Democrat race for county supervisors, what neither of them realized was each received write-in votes on the Republican ballot.
Parker received three write-in votes while Kenning received one.
While they had a good laugh about their popularity, others who received votes on the Republican ballot for county supervisor were: Larry Jarvis, Brian Morgan, Keith Caviness, Robert Naeger, Adam Lunde, Janet Chelgren, Patricia Swanson, Donald Swanson, Tom Rubel, Jim Kosman, Dennis Kelly, James M. Lasley, Glen Harter, Bruce Severson, Phillip Lyon and John Daughtery.
Of the 9,740 registered Democrats, 1,970 cast ballots during the primary as compared to 1,274 of the 5,382 registered Republicans. The county has 23,080 registered voters. Although election results were released on election night, the results are not official until the County Board of Supervisors canvass the results.
In other business, supervisors:
• Cancelled three checks that were issued but never cashed during the past fiscal year. The checks totaled $38.80.
• Approved four tax suspensions under Iowa Code 427.8.
• Accepted a letter of resignation from Rick Callen, who serves on the Board of Adjustment. The county has two openings on the board. If persons are interested, they should contact a supervisor.
• Approved the cigarette/tobacco permit for D’s Eldon Y Company from July 1, 2014, to June 30, 2015.
• Approved the purchase of a well excavator for the Secondary Road Department for $235,280.