Notable crime of 2012:
Police Chief Jim Clark outlined some of Ottumwa’s major crimes of 2012 in his report:
• January: Eddie Ward was charged with first-degree robbery after allegedly robbing a patron at the Busy Bee Laundry Mat at knifepoint.
• January: Two juveniles were arrested for conspiring to shoot students at Ottumwa High School.
• February: Bruce Pollard was charged with second-degree burglary after he was caught on video by the downtown camera system entering Appanoose Rapids Brewing Company and then exiting moments later with an undisclosed amount of money. A month later, Pollard was charged with the armed robberies of Sonic Restaurant and Jefferson Street BP, as well as the murder of Cinema X Theater manager Kenneth McDaniel.
• March: Andre Flipping, 24, was charged with third-degree sexual abuse after an 18-year-old man reported being sexually assaulted at Stardust Motel.
• April: David Venegas, 18, was charged with willful injury following an investigation into the stabbing of Eden Guerra, 21.
• August: TNA Enterprises reported their heavyweight wrestling championship belt had been stolen during a show in Ottumwa. Joel Ryan Luke and Forrest Courtney Jamison were later charged with the theft of the belts.
• November: Curtis Bunnell was charged with first-degree robbery after he allegedly lured a local landlord to a home under the guise of showing a rental property to a potential renter.
• December: Abraham Barraza was charged with kidnapping following an investigation into the assault and forced removal of a 17-year-old girl from a home.