The Ottumwa Courier

Local News

October 31, 2012

Plea reached in TNA belt theft

OTTUMWA — One of the two men charged with stealing TNA belts in August has pleaded guilty to a lesser charge.

Joel Ryan Luke, 33, pleaded guilty to fifth-degree theft and was sentenced to two years probation and fines during his arraignment last week.

The Heavyweight World Championship Belt, valued at $6,000, as well as a replica, valued at $400, were taken during a TNA Impact Wrestling event on Aug. 18 at Bridge View Center.

Following an investigation into the theft, Luke was arrested and charged with second-degree theft.

Police later took Forrest Courtney Jamison, 39, into custody, and charged him with accessory to a felony in connection with the theft of the belts.

Jamison’s arraignment is scheduled for Wednesday.

Both Luke and Jamison originally pleaded not guilty to their respective charges.

1
Text Only
Local News
  • City Council approves sale of properties OTTUMWA — On Tuesday the Ottumwa City Council met for the last regularly scheduled meeting of April. Included in the agenda for the evening were several dispositions of city owned property. Structures and land located at 519 W. Fourth St., 723 E. Mar

    April 15, 2014

  • Where to play OTTUMWA — The Ottumwa Community School District wants to discuss moving to another athletic conference. Superintendent Davis Eidahl revealed that the district has been contacted by a smaller sports league, which has extended an invitation to join the

    April 15, 2014

  • 0416 OTT Ron Oswalt mug -T School board member resigns

    OTTUMWA — As this week's school board meeting came to a close, the president read a letter from one of the members. Board President Carol Mitchell read that fellow board member Ron Oswalt was announcing his resignation from the Ottumwa Board of Educa

    April 15, 2014 1 Photo

  • Chronic wasting disease found in wild deer OTTUMWA — Since 2002, the Iowa Department of Natural Resources has collected more than 50,000 samples of captive and wild deer in Iowa in an effort to look for cases of chronic wasting disease. On April 9, they confirmed an infected wild deer had bee

    April 15, 2014

  • Good Shepherd Food Pantry making a difference BLAKESBURG — Good Shepherd Food Pantry in Blakesburg began its third full year of operation this month. Start-up funds included the South Central United Methodist Conference grant of $1,200 and a large cash donation from Hope Well Church in response

    April 15, 2014

  • Council approves sale to Historical Preservation Society BLAKESBURG — Blakesburg City Council on Monday approved sale of the museum property to Blakesburg Historical Preservation Society. The $4,000 bid submitted by BHPS was the only bid received. Terms of the bid include a clause that if at sometime the p

    April 15, 2014

  • County signs law enforcement agreement with Eddyville OTTUMWA — A law enforcement service contract between Wapello County and the city of Eddyville received supervisors' approval on Tuesday. Beginning July 1, Eddyville will pay the Wapello County Sheriff’s office $3,833 per month or $45,996 for law enfo

    April 15, 2014

  • 0415 OTT bbq photo, run small -T -M Where the smoke came wafting off the grill OTTUMWA — When the hobby they loved became a full-time job, Bubba-Q's owners had to put something they loved — barbecue competitions — on hold. "We haven't competed since 2011," said Sabrina Knapp, co-owner of Bubba-Q's restaurant in the Quincy Place

    April 14, 2014 1 Photo

  • Armstrong sentenced in toddler beating OTTUMWA — Dustin Armstrong will spend 50 years in prison for the beating of an Ottumwa toddler last year. The assault took place almost exactly a year ago, when Ottumwa police went to 117 E. Woodland Ave. on April 22 and found Brayden Young, then 2,

    April 14, 2014

  • 0415 OTT Burger King fire photo color -T -M -L Fire closes Burger King indefinitely OTTUMWA — Workers at the Burger King in Ottumwa weren’t treated to an easy beginning to their Monday morning. They had to contact the Ottumwa Fire Department because a fire broke loose in the kitchen, effectively closing down the restaurant for the r

    April 14, 2014 1 Photo

Photo reprints


Obituaries

Facebook
E-edition