The kids we adopt aren’t lucky. We are.
David Goodman was one of the guests at a National Adoption Day event at the Wapello County Courthouse early Saturday. He said adoptive parents receive as much as they give, or perhaps more.
He told a nearly full courtroom that there are lots of reasons people give for not becoming a foster parent. But there are kids in Iowa who need a loving home, either for a few weeks or forever.
He and his wife, Aprile, the Court Appointed Special Advocate (CASA) coordinator, started fostering kids in need many years ago. Their first placement was only for a little while.
The boy’s name was Isaac, he recalled, and when Aprile came outside with him, he was squinting against the light. The boy’s previous guardian believed he was “allergic to the sun” and kept him away from sunshine or even most light. A bright day was overwhelming for him.
Since it was just a fostering arrangement, he left after a few weeks. Aprile and David missed Isaac. They wanted him back. In the end, they adopted him. He’s 18 years old now, yet David insisted Isaac was not the lucky one. David was the lucky one because he has become a better man.
“I am a different person today because of Isaac Goodman,” he said.
Saturday was a day to celebrate adoptive families and to create new ones across the nation. Juvenile Court Judge William Owens formalized five adoptions, and the Clerk of Court opened her office so the shift from foster family to adoptive family would be official.
“You do invest a lot into them,” said Heidi Hughes of Eddyville. “A lot of time and love.”
She and her husband, Nick Hughes, adopted a son officially on Saturday. They already had a biological son and four daughters. They’d been a foster family, but the couple knew they’d like to adopt.
“We’ve always talked about having six children,” Heidi said.
After five, she’d been pregnant enough, she said. They’d also tried twice for a brother for their son. By adopting, they were able to choose a boy.
“My husband and I thought there’s enough children out there who need a home,” she said.
Yes there are, said Judge Owens. The Hawkeyes are getting ready to play football in The Big House. Instead of 100,000 fans, picture 100,000 children waiting for a home. That’s the number in the United States.
In Iowa, there are more than 6,800 children in the foster care system. Of the ones cleared for adoption, about one in three will never be adopted.
Robert and Shari Bowman of Fairfield went into the courtroom with their attorney on Saturday. The couple was adopting two children, a boy and a girl.
Of the five adoptions Saturday, Owens said, “All of these children will celebrate their Thanksgiving a little early.”
Bob Bowman said they’d just started out as foster parents, wanting to do some good. Two and a half years ago was when their new son and daughter came to stay for a temporary visit.
Bob was asked if, during more than two years of caring for these children, he remembered when the family decided to make it a permanent arrangement.
“For me, it took me a little longer to realize than it took Shari,” he acknowledged.
OK, so how long after the children’s arrival did it take his wife to realize these should be their children?
“About two hours,” he said.
The kids we adopt aren’t lucky. We are.
- Local News
- City Council approves sale of properties OTTUMWA — On Tuesday the Ottumwa City Council met for the last regularly scheduled meeting of April. Included in the agenda for the evening were several dispositions of city owned property. Structures and land located at 519 W. Fourth St., 723 E. Mar
- Where to play OTTUMWA — The Ottumwa Community School District wants to discuss moving to another athletic conference. Superintendent Davis Eidahl revealed that the district has been contacted by a smaller sports league, which has extended an invitation to join the
- School board member resigns OTTUMWA — As this week's school board meeting came to a close, the president read a letter from one of the members. Board President Carol Mitchell read that fellow board member Ron Oswalt was announcing his resignation from the Ottumwa Board of Educa
- Chronic wasting disease found in wild deer OTTUMWA — Since 2002, the Iowa Department of Natural Resources has collected more than 50,000 samples of captive and wild deer in Iowa in an effort to look for cases of chronic wasting disease. On April 9, they confirmed an infected wild deer had bee
- Good Shepherd Food Pantry making a difference BLAKESBURG — Good Shepherd Food Pantry in Blakesburg began its third full year of operation this month. Start-up funds included the South Central United Methodist Conference grant of $1,200 and a large cash donation from Hope Well Church in response
- Council approves sale to Historical Preservation Society BLAKESBURG — Blakesburg City Council on Monday approved sale of the museum property to Blakesburg Historical Preservation Society. The $4,000 bid submitted by BHPS was the only bid received. Terms of the bid include a clause that if at sometime the p
- County signs law enforcement agreement with Eddyville OTTUMWA — A law enforcement service contract between Wapello County and the city of Eddyville received supervisors' approval on Tuesday. Beginning July 1, Eddyville will pay the Wapello County Sheriff’s office $3,833 per month or $45,996 for law enfo
- Where the smoke came wafting off the grill OTTUMWA — When the hobby they loved became a full-time job, Bubba-Q's owners had to put something they loved — barbecue competitions — on hold. "We haven't competed since 2011," said Sabrina Knapp, co-owner of Bubba-Q's restaurant in the Quincy Place
- Armstrong sentenced in toddler beating OTTUMWA — Dustin Armstrong will spend 50 years in prison for the beating of an Ottumwa toddler last year. The assault took place almost exactly a year ago, when Ottumwa police went to 117 E. Woodland Ave. on April 22 and found Brayden Young, then 2,
- Fire closes Burger King indefinitely OTTUMWA — Workers at the Burger King in Ottumwa weren’t treated to an easy beginning to their Monday morning. They had to contact the Ottumwa Fire Department because a fire broke loose in the kitchen, effectively closing down the restaurant for the r
- More Local News Headlines