In other news:
• The board received roofing bids. Low bidder was Brockway Mechanical and Roofing for $117,780.
• The board received bids for two buses. The chosen bidder was Thomas Bus Sales for $178,078.
The administration recommended that the district purchase the two buses from Thomas Bus Sales as School Bus Sales, the low bidder, did not meet the bid specifications. The district currently maintains the replacement parts for said buses, making them more cost efficient in the long term.
• Van Buren Coach Dave Alvis was selected as a 2013 Coach of the Year finalist. There is a banquet to announce the winner on June 26, 2013, in Des Moines.
• Van Buren student Faith Murphy fundraised to provide Christmas gifts for needy students.
• The secretary’s financial report was approved. The balance is $2,520,160.95 in the general fund as of Nov. 30, and balance in the schoolhouse fund is $2,020,439.29, as of Nov. 30.