• Use clips, not nails, to hang lights so the cords do not get damaged.
• Keep decorations away from windows and doors.
If you are hosting a holiday get-together, be sure to keep these safety tips in mind as well:
• Test your smoke alarms and tell guests about your home fire escape plan.
• Keep children and pets away from lit candles.
• Keep matches and lighters up high in a locked cabinet.
• Stay in the kitchen when cooking on the stovetop.
• Ask smokers to smoke outside. Remind smokers to keep their smoking materials with them so young children do not touch them.
Contact the Ottumwa fire Department at 641-683-0667 with questions regarding winter or holiday fire safety.