The Ottumwa Courier

March 22, 2013

Fire at Ottumwa post office causes $500 in damages


Ottumwa Courier

OTTUMWA — Firefighters responded to a fire at the Ottumwa post office Wednesday night.

At approximately 6:15 p.m. Wednesday, firefighters received a call from a woman who said she had entered the lobby of the post office, 616 W. Second St., and saw smoke.

When firefighters arrived they noticed fire coming from the heating unit on the south wall of the lobby. Looking inside, they saw that the electrical motor that runs the fans was on fire. Firefighters estimated the total damage at approximately $500.