The Ottumwa Courier

Local News

March 26, 2013

Family, firefighters unhurt in Friday fire

Homeowners may want to check their own laundry rooms

OTTUMWA — It’s a painful way to get an education about hazards around the home: A neighbor’s house is destroyed by fire.

The culprit in last week’s blaze in the 400 block of South Davis Street, said the city’s top fire investigator, was the clothes dryer.

Around 8 p.m. Friday, the Ottumwa Fire Department arrived at the house.

“The house was fully [engulfed] when we arrived,” said Ottumwa Assistant Fire Chief Cory Benge, the city’s fire marshal.

An eyewitness said she saw smoke before the fire department arrived, then, within five minutes, flame started shooting out the front of the house near a picture window and front door. It went up quick, the witness reported.

“They had four people in the house,” said Chief Tony Miller, “three children and an adult. They smelled smoke, the smoke detectors went off and they all got out of the house. “

No firefighters were injured.

At the point it appears a structure will be lost to flames, the main objective becomes protecting neighboring houses, he said. They were able to do that but could not save the house.

“It was the dryer,” said Benge. “An issue with the lint trap.”

And no, agreed the assistant chief, it’s not an obvious thing people think about normally, especially when considering the possible destruction of their residence.

“I went home and reminded my wife,” he said.

He and the chief added that there was another contributing factor to Friday night’s fire. The dryer had clothing pressed against it. But why would that be a problem?

“It needs to get cool air circulating,” said Miller, “to cool those heating elements.”

Clothing or other objects can act to insulate the machine, almost creating an oven and allowing it to get so hot any lint in the trap can begin to smolder and burn.

That may not be obvious either, they said. Which means there may be other homes in Ottumwa right now where the dryer has no room to breath or has a full or missing lint trap.

On an Ottumwa Courier social media page, the adult who lived in the house said it took too long for the firetrucks to get there. She wrote having to go through Mahaska County emergency dispatchers slowed the process. Ottumwa’s 911 system was damaged recently and is currently not operational.

“That is being investigated,” acknowledged the chief.

Benge said the police lieutenant in charge of dispatching and communications at the Wapello County Law Center is checking to see if there was a delay related to the change is procedure and why the delay occurred.

1
Text Only
Local News
  • City Council approves sale of properties OTTUMWA — On Tuesday the Ottumwa City Council met for the last regularly scheduled meeting of April. Included in the agenda for the evening were several dispositions of city owned property. Structures and land located at 519 W. Fourth St., 723 E. Mar

    April 15, 2014

  • Where to play OTTUMWA — The Ottumwa Community School District wants to discuss moving to another athletic conference. Superintendent Davis Eidahl revealed that the district has been contacted by a smaller sports league, which has extended an invitation to join the

    April 15, 2014

  • 0416 OTT Ron Oswalt mug -T School board member resigns OTTUMWA — As this week's school board meeting came to a close, the president read a letter from one of the members. Board President Carol Mitchell read that fellow board member Ron Oswalt was announcing his resignation from the Ottumwa Board of Educa

    April 15, 2014 1 Photo

  • Chronic wasting disease found in wild deer OTTUMWA — Since 2002, the Iowa Department of Natural Resources has collected more than 50,000 samples of captive and wild deer in Iowa in an effort to look for cases of chronic wasting disease. On April 9, they confirmed an infected wild deer had bee

    April 15, 2014

  • Good Shepherd Food Pantry making a difference BLAKESBURG — Good Shepherd Food Pantry in Blakesburg began its third full year of operation this month. Start-up funds included the South Central United Methodist Conference grant of $1,200 and a large cash donation from Hope Well Church in response

    April 15, 2014

  • Council approves sale to Historical Preservation Society BLAKESBURG — Blakesburg City Council on Monday approved sale of the museum property to Blakesburg Historical Preservation Society. The $4,000 bid submitted by BHPS was the only bid received. Terms of the bid include a clause that if at sometime the p

    April 15, 2014

  • County signs law enforcement agreement with Eddyville OTTUMWA — A law enforcement service contract between Wapello County and the city of Eddyville received supervisors' approval on Tuesday. Beginning July 1, Eddyville will pay the Wapello County Sheriff’s office $3,833 per month or $45,996 for law enfo

    April 15, 2014

  • 0415 OTT bbq photo, run small -T -M Where the smoke came wafting off the grill OTTUMWA — When the hobby they loved became a full-time job, Bubba-Q's owners had to put something they loved — barbecue competitions — on hold. "We haven't competed since 2011," said Sabrina Knapp, co-owner of Bubba-Q's restaurant in the Quincy Place

    April 14, 2014 1 Photo

  • Armstrong sentenced in toddler beating OTTUMWA — Dustin Armstrong will spend 50 years in prison for the beating of an Ottumwa toddler last year. The assault took place almost exactly a year ago, when Ottumwa police went to 117 E. Woodland Ave. on April 22 and found Brayden Young, then 2,

    April 14, 2014

  • 0415 OTT Burger King fire photo color -T -M -L Fire closes Burger King indefinitely OTTUMWA — Workers at the Burger King in Ottumwa weren’t treated to an easy beginning to their Monday morning. They had to contact the Ottumwa Fire Department because a fire broke loose in the kitchen, effectively closing down the restaurant for the r

    April 14, 2014 1 Photo

Photo reprints


Obituaries

Facebook
E-edition