- Local News
- Van Buren Conference Board OKs Assessor's budget KEOSAUQUA — The Van Buren Conference Board last week approved the assessor’s office proposed budget 2-1 despite some objections from board members. The conference board is make up of mayors, supervisors and school board members. There are three votes
Preserving a log cabin with a quilt
DRAKESVILLE — The Drakesville Park Board is asking for the community's help to preserve a very special piece of southern Iowa history. In 1848, Mormon travelers built a log cabin just outside of Drakesville in exchange for medical care and supplies.
- Fire department fights fire, cold OTTUMWA — Ottumwa's fire chief is relieved there were observant neighbors living on Mary Street. They noticed a house on fire in the early morning hours Sunday and alerted the residents to the danger. "That could have turned out a lot worse," said Ch
- Inconsistencies found in human resources audit OTTUMWA — Wapello County will need to clean up some of its Human Resources policies. That’s the word from Paul Greufe of PF Greufe Associates of Davenport, who spoke before Wapello County Board of Supervisors and several department heads on Tuesday.
Adios, old friend
OTTUMWA — A once-popular restaurant turned dangerous eyesore has been leveled. A heavy equipment operator, supported by several workers in hardhats, were demolishing the exposed walls of the building Tuesday morning. In April of last year, El Rancho
Raw video: Rancho Grande demolition
Demolition work moved ahead Tuesday on the former home of Rancho Grande, a popular Mexican restaurant in Ottumwa. The restaurant burned down in April 2013.
- Thanks a million OTTUMWA — Not every district applied for funding for teacher leadership, but Ottumwa did. After all, said Superintendent Davis Eidahl, the project includes steps the district was already taking. "It's a way to compensate teachers for their additional
- Welcome back, Carson-Roark OTTUMWA — The next principal of Evans Middle School knows her way around the building. Missy Carson-Roark attended middle school there before attending and graduating from Ottumwa High School. She's a little anxious, she told a gathering of teachers
- Car chase nails correctional facility escapee FAIRFIELD — A traffic stop turned into a police chase that covered two counties for members of the Fairfield Police Department Saturday . At approximately 6:55 a.m. Saturday, according to a press release issued by the FPD, officers attempted to condu
- Month-long investigation lands multiple arrests CENTERVILLE — After a long investigation into multiple individuals who are suspected methamphetamine manufacturers, the South Central Iowa Drug Task force was able to make several arrests on Thursday. According to a press release issued by the Center
- More Local News Headlines