FAIRFIELD — The Fairfield Convention and Visitors Bureau is rolling out a campaign to promote the best sandwiches in town.
Uniquely titled, "The 'Wiches of Fairfield," this campaign began with area restaurants submitting their best sandwiches to a panel of judges who scored the sandwiches on both taste and appearance. After extensive tasting, the very satisfied judges commented on the vast variety of submissions and declared that there was not a loser in the bunch.
"Fairfield is known for its restaurant variety, and we felt it was time to highlight the local culinary offerings, and sandwiches are a great place to start. Who doesn't love a great sandwich?" said Terry Baker, assistant director for the bureau and project leader.
Participating restaurants included Binghimon's Caribbean Kitchen, Docs Inn, George's Pizza & Steak, Hy-Vee Kitchen & Deli, Squeal Good BBQ, Ila, Sweet 'N Saucy BBQ, The Gardens, The Burning Oak, Top of the Rock Grill and Yummy's Gourmet Cakes. The judges identified 22 top sandwiches, and they can all be seen at TravelFairfield.com.
The judges commented that it was very challenging to judge these sandwiches because there was so much variety. As a result, rather than select an overall winner, the judges decided to give out 11 "Judge's Choice" awards which were, in alphabetical order:
1. Bourbon Street Pork Melt — George's Pizza & Steak
2. Chicken Reggae Wrap — Binghimon's Caribbean Kitchen
3. Chicken Salad Wrap — Yummy's Gourmet Cakes
4. Cow goes Oink — Squeal Good BBQ
5. Crab Cake Sandwich — the Hy-Vee Kitchen
6. Falafel Sandwich — The Burning Oak
7. Guacamole Bacon Buffalo Burger — Docs Inn
8. Italian Meatball Sub — Ila
9. Slow Smoked Beef Brisket — Sweet 'N Saucy BBQ
10. Turkey Bacon Avocado Wrap — The Gardens
11. Turkey Mozzarella Sandwich — Top of the Rock Grille
"The Bureau would like to invite the Fairfield public as well as visitors in the area to try the 'Wiches of Fairfield and find your favorite," said Baker. "Join us on Facebook and let us know which ones are your favorites."
For more information on the 'Wiches of Fairfield, call 641-472-2828.