By HELEN HANNAN
---- — BLAKESBURG — Bill Hinshaw, mayor pro tem, introduced Heather Simplot as Blakesburg's new city attorney Monday during the regular monthly city council meeting. Experienced in both civil and criminal law, she joined Harrison, Moreland, Webber and Simplot law firm of Ottumwa in 2012.
The council approved a one-year extension of the sewer improvement loan to include phase two of the project. The extension contract included an interest rate reduction of 1/2 percent from 3.5 percent to 3 percent.
In other business, the council:
• Approved abandoning block 26 and part of block 27 second addition to city of Blakesburg.
• Approved cigarette/tobacco permit for Blakesburg Oil Company.
• Tabled Corn Carnival fireworks request until July regular meeting.
• Tabled further work on cemetery to give the council time for further investigation.
• Set 7 p.m. July 1 for a budget amendment hearing.