OTTUMWA — The Ottumwa Community Events Committee is planning out events for the upcoming Zombie Fest 2013.
Working with D.A.R.E., First Resources Corporation, the Ottumwa YMCA, the Green Street Hall Mall and Prescribed Films and local sponsors, the committee is putting together a day-long festival of zombie-themed events on Oct. 26, the last Saturday before Halloween.
The festival will primarily take place at Central Park in downtown Ottumwa. There will be additional events held at Greater Ottumwa Park and the Green Street Hall Mall.
The lineup of events includes:
• Vendors of merchandise and food will be open from 10 a.m. until after dark.
• A live-action Zombie vs. Human survival game will take place at Greater Ottumwa Park
• Makeup artists will be on hand to help you look more like a zombie
• A photo area where you will be able to pose with a zombie or a victim, depending on how you’re dressed
• A flash mob will dance to Thriller at noon.
• A variety of contests for all ages will be judged throughout the day, including:
• Pumpkin carving/decorating (carved/decorated pumpkins will be brought to the event to be judged)
• Scarecrow decorating contest (decorated scarecrows will be displayed around the park during the event)
• Jell-o brain eating contest
• Best scream contest
• Best zombie costume contest
• Children’s games and story time at the Ottumwa Public Library
• Thrill the World dance – help set a world record for most people simultaneously dancing to Thriller, part of a national campaign
• Wapello County Trails Counsel sponsored 5K/10K trails run/walk
• Zombie Walk – a large group of people dressed as zombies will wander the downtown streets and businesses — will depart from Green Street Hall Mall at 6 p.m.
• Live music by three bands (TBA) at 9 p.m. at Green Street Hall Mall