The Ottumwa Courier

February 1, 2013

Electric overload leads to attic fire

CINDY TOOPES
Courier Staff Writer

OTTUMWA — Overloading electrical circuits with space heaters and other items means too many amps, and fire can result.

A family living in the 300 block of North Weller Street had electrical problems Thursday morning. Overloading the home’s circuits with too many space heaters resulted in a fire in the attic area, according to city firefighters.

“There will be more incidents like these as the weather gets cooler,” said Ottumwa Fire Deputy Chief Cory Benge, adding that the family has no insurance.

But, Benge also said the local American Red Cross will help the family by taking them to a motel for a couple of days.

To battle the fire, the crew put down tarps and got the burning insulation outside.

Benge also hopes people will be mindful and not put bigger fuses in the electrical box. He also noted the Weller Street problem won’t be the last one this season.

The fire call came in at 9:19 a.m. Thursday, and the crew finished by 10:41 a.m.