This one will sting a little bit.
A few free throws here, and a few defensive stops there and Ottumwa could have picked up another victory Tuesday.
But the Bulldogs just didn’t quite make enough plays to put them over the top and they fell to CIML Metro Conference foe Des Moines Hoover 31-27.
The Bulldogs overcame a 5-point halftime deficit to take a 19-18 lead in the third quarter after Olivia Roark buried her second 3-pointer of the game. Mikayla Larson, who finished with a game-high 18, quickly recaptured the lead for her team by sinking a pair of free throws at the end of the third quarter.
In the fourth, Larson penetrated down the middle of the lane and banked it in off the glass to give her team a 22-19 lead. Bulldog Megan Black responded by beating her defender off the dribble and feeding Sydney Strunk, who banked in a short jumper off the glass, which cut the Husky lead to 22-21.
ddle of the lane and made a difficult shot amongst the trees to give her team a one-point edge.
But it was Larson who would take over down the stretch. She took it the length of the floor and scored on a drive to give her team a 27-25 edge. Late in the quarter, she beat her Strunk off the dribble and scored to give her team a 29-25 lead.
“Our free throw shooting was poor, but that was probably second to our lack of mental focus on defense down the stretch,” coach Kevin Patterson said after the game.
The coach, however, praised Alexis Winn and Rachel Zingg for holding Nyakat Diew, Hoover’s leading scorer, to only two points.
Ottumwa (2-5, 1-1) plays at Indianola Friday.
Des Moines Hoover 31, Ottumwa 27
Hoov 6 6 8 11 — 31
Ott 2 5 12 8 — 27
Hoover (31) — Mikayla Larson 18, Natalie Clark 4, Artoria Jung 4, Malaysia Duncan 3, Nyakat Diew 2. Totals 12 FG 6-6 FT 31. 3-point goals — 1 (Duncan). Fouled out — None. Rebounds — 22 (Natalie Clark 9, Larson 9). Steals — 2 (Jung 1, Duncan 1). Blocks — 4 (Diew 3). Total fouls — 12. Turnovers — 13.
Ottumwa (27) — Olivia Roark 12, Sydney Strunk 4, Devin Leffler 2, Hayli Beeson 2, Megan Black 2, Alexis Winn 3. Totals 9 FG 7-14 FT 27. 3-point goals — 2 (Black 2).
This one will sting a little bit.
- Warrior golfers boast big lead at Illinois invite SPRINGFIELD, Ill. — After one round, the Indian Hills men's golf team boasts a 15-stroke lead in the Blue Boy Invitational Friday with a score of 296 strokes. Jakob Garstecki spearheaded the Warriors' success by firing the top score of the day at 72
- Warriors suffer sophomore day sweep to Southeastern OTTUMWA — Jim Overturf has been coaching junior college softball for over two decades. In that time, Overturf has seen over two decades worth of days dedicated to celebrating a departing class of sophomore players. In his experience, Overturf has see
- Albia boys have record-setting night at Waukee WAUKEE — Alex Schultz turned in a pair of outstanding performances at what ended up being a record-setting night for the Albia boys track and field team at the Waukee Invitational. Competing as the lone Class 2A school against some elite competition,
- Ottumwa AD talks about possible conference change OTTUMWA — Tom Kopatich has plenty of experience with the Southeast Conference. Kopatich, the athletic director for Ottumwa High School, coached the Ottumwa football team when the Bulldogs belonged to the conference. So what does he think about a pos
- On Tap Saturday Boys Soccer Ottumwa at Waterloo West Invitational, 9 a.m. Oskaloosa at Winterset Tournament, 10 a.m. College Golf Indian Hills at Buena Vista Spring Invitational (Storm Lake) College Baseball Indian Hills at Muscatine (DH), Noon College Softball Indi
- Ottumwa boys track ties for seventh in Urbandale URBANDALE — The Ottumwa boys track and field team tied for seventh place with Des Moines North at the Chuck Silvey Invitational at Urbandale Thursday with 11 points. The Bulldog boys 4x400 team of Roger Cruz, Matt Moreland, Jalen Strunk and Osha Wyl
- Clarification Clarification: The Ottumwa boys tennis team competes at 2 p.m. Tuesday at Dan Staggs Courts against Ankeny.
- Southeast Iowa Fishing Report Red Haw Lake Anglers have been catching some largemouth bass along with some bluegills and crappies. Use minnows and a bobber around brush piles. Lake Sugema Very little fishing activity has been occurring but some anglers were able to catch some sma
- Couple makes face paint for wild turkey hunters RED WING, Minn. (AP) -- You could call it man makeup. It's a water-based skin application made from natural ingredients such as organic rooibos tea and zinc oxide. It's nonallergenic, won't clog your pores, doesn't stain clothes and provides protecti
- Ottumwa girls pick up impressive road win DES MOINES -- The Ottumwa girls tennis team soundly defeated Des Moines Lincoln 10-1 Thursday in CIML Metro Conference action. "I think in our singles match they were doing a great job of having really long rallies," said Ottumwa coach Leanna Nelson.
- More Sports Headlines