This one will sting a little bit.
A few free throws here, and a few defensive stops there and Ottumwa could have picked up another victory Tuesday.
But the Bulldogs just didn’t quite make enough plays to put them over the top and they fell to CIML Metro Conference foe Des Moines Hoover 31-27.
The Bulldogs overcame a 5-point halftime deficit to take a 19-18 lead in the third quarter after Olivia Roark buried her second 3-pointer of the game. Mikayla Larson, who finished with a game-high 18, quickly recaptured the lead for her team by sinking a pair of free throws at the end of the third quarter.
In the fourth, Larson penetrated down the middle of the lane and banked it in off the glass to give her team a 22-19 lead. Bulldog Megan Black responded by beating her defender off the dribble and feeding Sydney Strunk, who banked in a short jumper off the glass, which cut the Husky lead to 22-21.
ddle of the lane and made a difficult shot amongst the trees to give her team a one-point edge.
But it was Larson who would take over down the stretch. She took it the length of the floor and scored on a drive to give her team a 27-25 edge. Late in the quarter, she beat her Strunk off the dribble and scored to give her team a 29-25 lead.
“Our free throw shooting was poor, but that was probably second to our lack of mental focus on defense down the stretch,” coach Kevin Patterson said after the game.
The coach, however, praised Alexis Winn and Rachel Zingg for holding Nyakat Diew, Hoover’s leading scorer, to only two points.
Ottumwa (2-5, 1-1) plays at Indianola Friday.
Des Moines Hoover 31, Ottumwa 27
Hoov 6 6 8 11 — 31
Ott 2 5 12 8 — 27
Hoover (31) — Mikayla Larson 18, Natalie Clark 4, Artoria Jung 4, Malaysia Duncan 3, Nyakat Diew 2. Totals 12 FG 6-6 FT 31. 3-point goals — 1 (Duncan). Fouled out — None. Rebounds — 22 (Natalie Clark 9, Larson 9). Steals — 2 (Jung 1, Duncan 1). Blocks — 4 (Diew 3). Total fouls — 12. Turnovers — 13.
Ottumwa (27) — Olivia Roark 12, Sydney Strunk 4, Devin Leffler 2, Hayli Beeson 2, Megan Black 2, Alexis Winn 3. Totals 9 FG 7-14 FT 27. 3-point goals — 2 (Black 2).
This one will sting a little bit.
- Iowa Boys State Basketball Tournament Monday, Mar. 10 Class 1A State Quarterfinals No. 8 Keota (24-1) vs. Easton Valley (21-2), 10:30 a.m. No. 1 Newell-Fonda (25-0) vs. No. 9 West Lyon, Inwood (20-5), 12:15 p.m. No. 5 Dunkerton (25-1) vs. East Mills (23-3), 2 p.m. No. 3 Lamoni (25-0) vs.
- Boys State Basketball Tournament Boys State Basketball Tournament At Wells Fargo Arena, Des Moines MONDAY Class 2A State Quarterfinals Albia (16-7) vs. Western Christian, Hull (24-0), 6:35 p.m. (KIIC 96.7 FM) At Wells Fargo Arena, Des Moines Boys State Basketball Tournament
- Iowa Girls State Basketball Tournament Monday, Mar. 3 Class 1A State Quarterfinals No. 4 Colo-Nesco 38, No. 6 Lynnville-Sully 34 No. 1 Newell-Fonda 73, Bedford 37 No. 2 Janesville 58, No. 11 Rockford 46 No. 3 Burlington-Notre Dame 90, No. 8 Adair-Casey 50 Class 2A State Quarterfinals No.
- Dowling, S.E. Polk rematch DES MOINES -- Get ready for a rematch in the Class 5A championship game. It will be Southeast Polk-Dowling Catholic, Part II, at 8 tonight after both advanced with semifinal victories over higher ranked opponents. No. 9 Southeast Polk, the defending
- Falcons fall at Eastern Oklahoma State WILBURTON, OKLA — After getting back on the right side of .500 last weekend with a four-game sweep at North Arkansas, the Indian Hills baseball team lost a tough battle to another team with JUCO World Series hopes. IHCC fell in the ninth game of its
- Hutchinson, Here They Come! OTTUMWA — There was one player on the court Thursday that had been here before. That player was Roderick Bobbitt, who two years ago as a freshman at Indian Hills was part of a dominant district championship win over North Dakota State College of Scie
- Blue Demons face 'Cinderella' scenario in state hoops return OTTUMWA — Twice, Kevin Archer has led the Albia boys basketball team to the state tournament. Twice, Archer did it by winning a substate game in the home gym of his alma-mater. Twice, the state has rewarded the Blue Demons with the lowest seed possib
- No Headline Provided College Baseball Indian Hills at Seminole State (DH), 1 p.m. College Basketball Oklahoma State at Iowa State, 1 p.m. (ESPN) Illinois at Iowa, 7:30 p.m. (BTN) Missouri Valley Conference Tournament Semifinals Northern Iowa or Southern Illinois vs. Indi
- Pheasant fest coming to Iowa in 2015 Courier sports staff DES MOINES -- Pheasants Forever and Quail Forever will take its annual celebration, National Pheasant Fest and Quail Classic, to Des Moines on Feb. 20-22, 2015. The largest show in the country for upland hunters, bird dog owners
- Burlington-ND rallies for spot in Girls 1A Final GIRLS STATE BASKETBALL TOURNAMENT DES MOINES — Burlington Notre Dame found itself in the unusual position of needing a comeback -- and the third-ranked Nikes pulled it off. Notre Dame overcame an 11-point second half deficit and beat No. 2 Janesville
- More Sports Headlines