CULLMAN, Ala. —
Courier sports staff
CULLMAN, Ala. – In their quest to produce a winning weekend at the Wallace State JUCO Invitational, the Indian Hills softball team built leads in each of their two games on Saturday. Those leads, however, could not hold up as the Warriors gave up seven unanswered runs to Central Alabama in a 7-2 loss to open the day.
Looking to salvage a split in the second game against Snead State, IHCC couldn’t hold onto a slim 1-0 lead in the bottom of the seventh. Snead State rallied for a pair of runs off starting pitching Mackenzie Haight and relief hurler Courtney Collins to score a surprising 2-1 win on Saturday.
Errors proved costly to the Warriors in the opener. Three defensive miscues opened the door to five unearned runs by Central Alabama, including three in the third inning that rallied the Trojans after RBI hits by Felisha Durflinger and Kaitlyn Matzen put IHCC on top 2-0 in the top half of the frame.
Haight held Snead State off the scoreboard despite allowing seven hits over six innings in game two. IHCC offense, which only produced three baserunners in the contest, finally broke a scoreless tie in the top of the seventh after Matzen doubled and scored on Carrie Hudson’s RBI.
Snead State rallied back in their last at-bat as three hits in the final frame off Collins brought home the game-tying and winning run in the bottom of the seventh. The loss was the fourth in a row for the Warriors after a 5-0 win in their season-opening and tournament-opening contest Friday against Calhoun.
Head coach Jim Overturf will see how his IHCC softball squad responds after a day off when the Warriors (1-4) face third-ranked (DI) Wallace State in a doubleheader Tuesday at 1 p.m. The Lady Lions won four of five games in their home invitational, including an 8-0 shutout of Indian Hills on Friday afternoon.
Wallace State JUCO Invitational
Central Alabama 7, Indian Hills 2
IHCC 002 000 0 — 2 5 3
CACC 003 022 x — 7 8 1
Indian Hills battery — Kendie Scheiber (L, 1-1) (4IP, 3H, 3R, 4K, BB) and Courtney Collins (3IP, 5H, 4R, 2ER, K, BB), Kaylyn Decock catching.
2B — Kaitlyn Matzen.
Hits — Decock 1-3, Felisha Durflinger 1-3, Matzen 1-3, Hiliary Pennington 1-3, Olivia Starcevich 1-3.
RBI — Durflinger, Matzen.
Runs — Durflinger, Pennington.
Snead State 2, Indian Hills 1
IHCC 000 000 1 — 1 2 1
SSCC 000 000 2 — 2 10 0
Indian Hills battery — Mackenzie Haight (6IP, 7H, R, ER, K, 2BB) and Collins (L, 0-2) (IP, 3H, R, ER, K, BB), Decock catching.
2B — Matzen, Scheiber.
Hits — Matzen 1-3, Scheiber 1-3.
RBI — Carrie Hudson.
Runs — Matzen.
CULLMAN, Ala. —
Courier sports staff
- EBF softball team brings trophy back from Fort Dodge EDDYVILLE — It may not have been the hardware the Eddyville-Blakesburg-Fremont softball team intended to come home with. But it was hardware. A trophy. An accomplishment no Rocket softball team had ever accomplished. That’s a feat that’s worth celebr
- Iowa High School State Baseball Tournament CLASS 1A Friday, July 25 Quarterfinals No. 2 Newman Catholic 7, No. 7 BGM 1 No. 6 Don Bosco 2, No. 8 Martensdale-St. Marys 1 Saturday, July 26 Quarterfinals No. 1 Twin Cedars 7, Underwood 0 No. 5 Gehlen Catholic 3, Lone Tree 0 Thursday, July 31 Semif
- Ottumwa All-Star team advances to Midwest Regional OTTUMWA – The Ottumwa 15-year-old baseball all-star team captured the state championship thanks to an unbelievable pitching staff and near flawless defense. "Pitchers are really the strength of this team," Ottumwa coach Mike Budan said. "We have som
- Three Bulldogs chosen for all-district team OTTUMWA — Three Ottumwa Bulldogs and a slew of Twin Cedars players were selected for their respective Iowa High School All-District teams. The players named to all-district squads were chosen by the Iowa High School Baseball Coaches Association. Th
- New recruits bolster hopes for IHCC volleyball OTTUMWA — Indian Hills Community College volleyball coach Lyndsey Lyon feels confident she has an incoming recruiting class that will shore up some of the deficiencies of last year’s squad. Lyon has announced the addition of eight former Iowa high s
Sprint Speedweek starts Thursday on Knoxville
Hello race fans and welcome to The Pit Stop. Thursday night kicks off the 13th Annual Cox Design Iowa Speedweek for Sprint Cars, where there are nine nights of Sprint Car racing over 10 days scheduled between The Knoxville Raceway and The Southern Io
- Fairfield set for first state baseball game in 35 years FAIRFIELD — There have been a lot of good teams and a lot of good players that have worn Fairfield baseball uniforms since 1979. None of them, however, experienced what Narendra Martin, Joseph Hietpas and rest of the young men that wore Trojan black
- 2014 Iowa High School State Softball Tournament Monday, July 21 Class 3A Quarterfinals No. 2 East Marshall 4, Mid-Prairie 3 No. 9 Bondurant-Farrar 9, No. 13 West Burlington/Notre Dame 4 No. 3 Clarke 13, Spirit Lake 0 (3) Greene County 2, No. 6 Center Point-Urbana 0 Class 4A Quarterfinals No. 1 Dal
- Late-game scoring sends Sioux City to regionals CENTERVILLE — Grandview and Sioux City Headid battled back-and-forth through periodic rain showers Saturday in the state title game. In the end, it was Sioux City who emerged victorious after coming back from a 4-0 deficit. Sioux City’s Cael Boever w
- Iowa High School State Baseball Tournament Saturday Class 1A Quarterfinals No. 1 Twin Cedars 7, Underwood 0 Tuesday Class 3A Quarterfinals No. 5 Fairfield (30-7) vs. Dallas Center-Grimes (22-14), 8 p.m. (95.9 FM KKFD) Thusday Class 1A Semifinals No. 1 Twin Cedars (34-0) vs. No. 5 Gehlen Cat
- More Sports Headlines