CULLMAN, Ala. —
Courier sports staff
CULLMAN, Ala. – In their quest to produce a winning weekend at the Wallace State JUCO Invitational, the Indian Hills softball team built leads in each of their two games on Saturday. Those leads, however, could not hold up as the Warriors gave up seven unanswered runs to Central Alabama in a 7-2 loss to open the day.
Looking to salvage a split in the second game against Snead State, IHCC couldn’t hold onto a slim 1-0 lead in the bottom of the seventh. Snead State rallied for a pair of runs off starting pitching Mackenzie Haight and relief hurler Courtney Collins to score a surprising 2-1 win on Saturday.
Errors proved costly to the Warriors in the opener. Three defensive miscues opened the door to five unearned runs by Central Alabama, including three in the third inning that rallied the Trojans after RBI hits by Felisha Durflinger and Kaitlyn Matzen put IHCC on top 2-0 in the top half of the frame.
Haight held Snead State off the scoreboard despite allowing seven hits over six innings in game two. IHCC offense, which only produced three baserunners in the contest, finally broke a scoreless tie in the top of the seventh after Matzen doubled and scored on Carrie Hudson’s RBI.
Snead State rallied back in their last at-bat as three hits in the final frame off Collins brought home the game-tying and winning run in the bottom of the seventh. The loss was the fourth in a row for the Warriors after a 5-0 win in their season-opening and tournament-opening contest Friday against Calhoun.
Head coach Jim Overturf will see how his IHCC softball squad responds after a day off when the Warriors (1-4) face third-ranked (DI) Wallace State in a doubleheader Tuesday at 1 p.m. The Lady Lions won four of five games in their home invitational, including an 8-0 shutout of Indian Hills on Friday afternoon.
Wallace State JUCO Invitational
Central Alabama 7, Indian Hills 2
IHCC 002 000 0 — 2 5 3
CACC 003 022 x — 7 8 1
Indian Hills battery — Kendie Scheiber (L, 1-1) (4IP, 3H, 3R, 4K, BB) and Courtney Collins (3IP, 5H, 4R, 2ER, K, BB), Kaylyn Decock catching.
2B — Kaitlyn Matzen.
Hits — Decock 1-3, Felisha Durflinger 1-3, Matzen 1-3, Hiliary Pennington 1-3, Olivia Starcevich 1-3.
RBI — Durflinger, Matzen.
Runs — Durflinger, Pennington.
Snead State 2, Indian Hills 1
IHCC 000 000 1 — 1 2 1
SSCC 000 000 2 — 2 10 0
Indian Hills battery — Mackenzie Haight (6IP, 7H, R, ER, K, 2BB) and Collins (L, 0-2) (IP, 3H, R, ER, K, BB), Decock catching.
2B — Matzen, Scheiber.
Hits — Matzen 1-3, Scheiber 1-3.
RBI — Carrie Hudson.
Runs — Matzen.
CULLMAN, Ala. —
Courier sports staff
- Falcons fall at Eastern Oklahoma State WILBURTON, OKLA — After getting back on the right side of .500 last weekend with a four-game sweep at North Arkansas, the Indian Hills baseball team lost a tough battle to another team with JUCO World Series hopes. IHCC fell in the ninth game of its
- Hutchinson, Here They Come! OTTUMWA — There was one player on the court Thursday that had been here before. That player was Roderick Bobbitt, who two years ago as a freshman at Indian Hills was part of a dominant district championship win over North Dakota State College of Scie
- Blue Demons face 'Cinderella' scenario in state hoops return OTTUMWA — Twice, Kevin Archer has led the Albia boys basketball team to the state tournament. Twice, Archer did it by winning a substate game in the home gym of his alma-mater. Twice, the state has rewarded the Blue Demons with the lowest seed possib
- No Headline Provided College Baseball Indian Hills at Seminole State (DH), 1 p.m. College Basketball Oklahoma State at Iowa State, 1 p.m. (ESPN) Illinois at Iowa, 7:30 p.m. (BTN) Missouri Valley Conference Tournament Semifinals Northern Iowa or Southern Illinois vs. Indi
- Pheasant fest coming to Iowa in 2015 Courier sports staff DES MOINES -- Pheasants Forever and Quail Forever will take its annual celebration, National Pheasant Fest and Quail Classic, to Des Moines on Feb. 20-22, 2015. The largest show in the country for upland hunters, bird dog owners
- Burlington-ND rallies for spot in Girls 1A Final GIRLS STATE BASKETBALL TOURNAMENT DES MOINES — Burlington Notre Dame found itself in the unusual position of needing a comeback -- and the third-ranked Nikes pulled it off. Notre Dame overcame an 11-point second half deficit and beat No. 2 Janesville
- All-South Central Conference Wrestling Teams First Team Wrestler Team Gr Record Shadow Leshen Albia 12 65-1 Griffin Osing Albia 12 43-6 Brett Leshen Albia 12 58-2 Bryce Leshen Albia 10 56-3 Carter Isley Albia 10 59-2 Tyler Foubert E-B-F 12 42-4 Blake Marolf E-B-F 11 38-2 Jeren Glosser E-B-F 11
- Southeast Iowa Fishing Report Rathbun Reservoir Thicknesses of 8--12 inches of ice have been reported. Fishing has been slow and fishing pressure has been light. Try to find underwater structure and use small jigs tipped with a minnow. The current lake level is 904.99 feet. Don't
- No Headline Provided College Baseball Indian Hills at Eastern Oklahoma State, 1 p.m. College Basketball Missouri Valley Conference Tournament Quarterfinals Northern Iowa vs. Southern Illinois at St. Louis, Missouri, 8:30 p.m. (MVC TV) Women’s College Basketball Big Ten T
- Iowa Girls State Basketball Tournament Monday, Mar. 3 Class 1A State Quarterfinals No. 4 Colo-Nesco 38, No. 6 Lynnville-Sully 34 No. 1 Newell-Fonda 73, Bedford 37 No. 2 Janesville 58, No. 11 Rockford 46 No. 3 Burlington-Notre Dame 90, No. 8 Adair-Casey 50 Class 2A State Quarterfinals No.
- More Sports Headlines