IOWA CITY —
One more day and two more matches as an Ottumwa Bulldog athlete.
That’s what was on the line for senior Ashley Salgado Thursday in the later stages of the first day at the Class 2A girls state doubles tennis tournament.
Teaming with junior Kelsey Granneman to form the top doubles team on the Ottumwa girls tennis team this season, Salgado’s second trip to state included a first-ever win. Salgado and Granneman outlasted Cedar Rapids Washington’s Lanie Sabin and Rina Moore, 7-5 and 6-4, to advance to the doubles quarterfinals.
But after a 6-1, 7-5 loss to top-seeded Urbandale’s Michelle VanRoekel and Madeline Heer, Salgado and Granneman faced a do-or-die consolation quarterfinal matchup with another team from Cedar Rapids Washington. A loss to Kristin King and Olivia Brooks would bring an end to Granneman’s first state tennis tournament trip and Salgado’s fantastic prep career.
Instead, Salgado and Granneman will play for a place as one of the best eight doubles teams in Class 2A. The Bulldog duo helped eliminate both of Washington’s qualifying doubles teams, beating King and Brooks 6-4, 6-2 to advance to the consolation semifinal round at University of Iowa Tennis Courts in Iowa City.
It was certainly a much different experience at state for Salgado after losing in two straight sweeps as a sophomore in 2010 with Ally Schulz. Salgado and Granneman, now 12-3 on the season, will play in two final matches today starting with a morning match-up against Bettendorf’s Dana Waterman and Ali Grampp.
While Salgado and Granneman compete for a spot in the top eight of the 2A doubles tournament, Oskaloosa’s Amanda Stefanik is assured of a top-four finish in Class 1A singles play. The fourth-seeded undefeated senior moved to 20-0 on the season with a pair of wins at Byrnes Park in Waterloo, sweeping Spirit Lake-Okoboji’s Hannah Coenen (6-0, 6-4) and Red Oak’s Kate Walker (6-4, 6-2).
Stefanik has yet to lose a postseason set and will put her undefeated on the line against the other three seeded players in the field. Top-ranked Jayln Deering of Camanche will be Stefanik’s first test Friday in the semifinal round with second-seeded Mary Eide of Fort Dodge St. Edmond and third-seeded Ashley Dohlman of Aplington-Parkersburg also competing for the 1A state singles crown.
“Our goal is 22-0 and a state title,” Oskaloosa head girls tennis coach Josh Bandstra said. “We’ll see what happens.”
Albia’s Savannah Belcher, who was swept by Stefanik in the regional finals at Pella, could not overcome a tough draw as a regional runner-up. The Lady Dees’ lone state qualifier saw her season end on Thursday after being swept in the opening round by Eide (6-0, 6-0) and by Waterloo Columbus’ qualifier Ashlee Sinnott in the consolation round (6-1, 6-1).
Class 2A State Singles and Doubles Tennis Tournament
At University of Iowa Tennis Center, Iowa City
FIRST ROUND — No. 1 Michelle VanRoekel and Madeline Heer (Urbandale) def. Lisa Pusin and Chloe Stewart (West Des Moines Valley) 6-1, 6-0; Ashley Salgado and Kelsey Granneman (Ottumwa) def. Lanie Sabin and Rina Moore (Cedar Rapids Washington) 7-5, 6-4; Dana Waterman and Ali Grampp (Bettendorf) def. Anna Bowser and Kelsey Schingren (Fort Dodge) 6-1, 6-0; No. 4 Ann Ku and Sophia Samarendescu (Ames) def. Jenny Vens and Megan Goetzl (Clinton) 6-1, 6-1; No. 3 Payton Kintz and Jenna Heil (Johnston) def. Sarah Lasecki and Lindsay Minder (Cedar Rapids Kennedy) 6-3, 6-4; Kayla Dinshaw and Kyla Inderski (U) def. Kristin King and Olivia Brooks (CRW) 6-2, 3-6, 6-4; Griffin Rasche and Meggie Buikeman (C) def. Olivia Lofrgen and Elena Wilson (Iowa City West) 6-2, 6-2; No. 2 Jenni Aldrich and Lucy Korsakov (WDMV) def. Elizabeth Nutty and Taylor Thoen (Ames) 6-1, 6-3.
QUARTERFINALS — No. 1 VanRoekel and Heer (U) def. Salgado and Granneman (O) 6-1, 7-5; No. 4 Ku and Samarendescu (A) def. Waterman and Grampp (B) 7-6 (7-3), 7-6 (7-3); No. 3 Kintz and Heil (J) def. Dinshaw and Inderski (U) 6-4, 6-1; No. 2 Aldrich and Korsakov (WDMV) def. Rasche and Buikeman (C) 6-3, 6-4.
FIRST ROUND CONSOLATION — Bowser and Schingren (FD) def. Pusin and Stewart (WDMV) 6-4, 4-6, 10-7; Vens and Goetzl (C) def. Sabin and Moore (CRW) 6-1, 6-3; Lofrgen and Wilson (ICW) def. Lasecki and Minder (CRK) 6-3, 6-4; King and Brooks (CRW) def. Nutty and Thoen (A) 6-1, 6-2.
CONSOLATION QUARTERFINALS — Rasche and Buikeman (C) def. Bowser and Schingren (FD) 6-2, 6-3; Vens and Goetzl (C) def. Dinshaw def. Inderski (U) 6-4, 4-6, 10-7; Waterman and Grampp (B) def. Lofgren and Wilson (ICW) 6-1, 6-3; Salgado and Granneman (O) def. King and Brooks (CRW) 6-4, 6-2.
Class 1A State Singles and Doubles Tennis Tournament
At Byrnes Park, Waterloo
FIRST ROUND — No. 1 Jayln Deering (Camanche) def. Liz Rucker (Waverly-Shell Rock) 6-1, 6-0; Kathleen Hutchinson (Dubuque Walhert) def. Ellen Chalstrom (Fort Dodge St. Edmond) 6-4, 6-2; Kate Walker (Red Oak) def. Gabby Greco (Waterloo Columbus) 6-1, 6-2; No. 4 Amanda Stefanik (Oskaloosa) def. Hannah Coenen (Spirit Lake-Okoboji) 6-0, 6-4; No. 3 Ashley Dohlman (Aplington-Parkersburg) def. Jenna Wilkinson (Independence) 6-1, 6-0; Kylie Vogel (Cam.) def. Ashlee Sinnott (WC) 6-2, 6-3; Cassie Stanek (Sioux City Bishop Heelan) def. Casey Dean (Clarinda) 6-0, 6-3; No. 2 Mary Eide (FDSE) def. Savannah Belcher (Albia) 6-0, 6-0.
QUARTERFINALS — No. 1 Deering (Cam.) def. Hutchinson (DW) 6-1, 7-6 (7-5); No. 4 Stefanik (Osky) def. Kate Walker (RO) 6-4, 6-2; No. 3 Dohlman (AP) vs. Vogel (Cam.); No. 2 Eide (FDSE) def. Stanek (SCBH) 6-2, 6-4.
FIRST ROUND CONSOLATION — Greco (WC) def. Rucker (WSR) 6-2, 6-3; Chalstrom (FDSE) def. Coenen (SLO) 6-0, 6-0; Wilkinson (Ind.) def. Dean (Clar.) 6-4, 6-4; Sinnott (WC) def. Belcher (Albia) 6-1, 6-1.
CONSOLATION QUARTERFINALS — Stanek (SCBH) def. Greco (WC) 6-3, 6-2; Sinnott (WC) def. Wilkinson (Ind.) 7-6 (7-0), 6-0; Dohlman (AP) vs. Chalstrom (FDSE); Walker (RO) vs. Wilkinson (Ind.).
IOWA CITY —
One more day and two more matches as an Ottumwa Bulldog athlete.
- Twin Cedars ready for state DES MOINES — What a long, great trip its been for the Twin Cedars baseball team and the Sabers don't want the party to end anytime soon. Today, the top-ranked Sabers (33-0) take on Underwood at 11 a.m. at Principal Park in the first round of the Cla
- 'What A Ride!' FORT DODGE — Eddyville-Blakesburg-Fremont's dream of winning a state title was dashed in the Class 2A championship game at Rogers Park on Friday. After beating top-ranked Highland the day before to reach their first state championship game, the Rocke
- Clarke takes 3A State Title on walk-off homer FORT DODGE — It was a walk-off win last year in Ottumwa that gave Lindsay Diehl the chance to coach her alma-mater at the Iowa High School State Softball Tournament. This year, a walk-off win made the former Indian Hills standout a state championship
- Wardenburg's first offseason has been a busy one OTTUMWA — As the top assistant coach under Barret Peery, the past three years for John Wardenburg at Indian Hills have kept him plenty busy. Those past three years, however, are nothing compared to how busy the past three months have been since Warde
- Bulldog pitcher climbs ladder of success OTTUMWA — Steven Wilson has come a long way. The senior graduate went from making a couple of obscure appearances on the mound his junior year to becoming Ottumwa's No. 1 pitcher this season. "Steven Wilson has been phenomenal all year long for us,"
- State Baseball Tournament Saturday Class 1A Quarterfinals No. 1 Twin Cedars (33-0) vs. Underwood (22-7), 11 a.m. (104.9 FM KBOE) Tuesday Class 3A Quarterfinals No. 5 Fairfield (30-7) vs. Dallas Center-Grimes (22-14), 8 p.m. (95.9 FM KKFD)
- OHS seniors help turn season around OTTUMWA — From 0-4 to 25-16.This is the story of the Ottumwa baseball team. Yet, beyond the numbers is the story behind the story; the pivotal reasons the Bulldogs were able to rescue their season from oblivion and finish with a respectable record.“T
- Iowa High School State Baseball Tournament CLASS 1A Friday, July 25 Quarterfinals 11 a.m. — Newman Catholic (34-3) vs. BGM (25-2) 1 p.m. — Don Bosco (30-3) vs. Martensdale-St. Marys (34-7) Saturday, July 26 Quarterfinals 11 a.m. — Twin Cedars (33-0) vs. Underwood (23-7) 1 p.m. — Gehlen Cathol
- State Softball Tournament Thursday Class 2A Semifinals No. 5 Eddyville-Blakesburg-Fremont 6, No. 1 Highland 2 Class 2A Championship No. 5 Eddyville-Blakesburg-Fremont (26-5) vs. No. 2 Earlham (30-4), 12:15 p.m. (Diamond 1, Mittera Field) RADIO: 96.7 FM KIIC and 104.9 FM KBOE
- Party Like It's 1979! FAIRFIELD — Not since the late 1970s had Fairfield ever seen a party like the one that took place on the diamond shortly after 9 p.m. Wednesday night. There were players. There were coaches. There were fans clad in orange and black. They all came tog
- More Sports Headlines