The family of Army Specialist Vanessa Guillen, the soldier sexually harassed and murdered on Fort Hood in 2020, is pushing for new compensation options for survivors of sexual assault. Mayra Guillen has been very outspoken about the injustice her sister endured while serving in the army. She and her attorney Natalie Khawam are working with members of congress, including Senator Kirsten Gillibrand and Representative Jackie Speier, to promote adding an amendment to the National Defense Authorization Act. Right now active-duty service members have no recourse for matters of sexual assault or misconduct.But amendment 3870 would create a formal complaint process for victims of sexual assault and their families to file a claim seeking financial compensation. Amendment 3870 could be up for a vote this week. If it passes service members who are victims of sexual misconduct will be able to immediately start filing claims against the government.
As featured on
President Joe Biden on Monday signed into law a sweeping defense authorization bill that includes nearly $770 billion in defense spending for fiscal year 2022.
This Week's Circulars
ALBIA [mdash]DeWayne Gene Repp, age 80, of Albia, died on January 18, 2022 at Mayo Clinic in Rochester, MN. He was born on January 2, 1942 in rural Albia to Armond and Iva (Fenton) Repp. He is survived by his wife, Karen (Aalbers) Repp of Albia; children, Brian Repp, Julie (Les) Nelson, and …
- Ottumwa Schools canceling Friday classes due to illnesses
- Boys swimming: Go senior swimmers!
- Area hospitals take brunt of latest COVID wave
- Albia woman dead after train collision
- Prep wrestling: OHS grapplers fall to third-ranked Wolves
- Residents weigh in on 'breed-specific' legislation
- LETTER: Has Miller-Meeks traded judgement for partisan ambitions?
- EMPTY NEST: Ottumwa native creates underground cave maze
- Marriages and land transfers for Jan. 22, 2022
- ‘Second Amendment preservation’ act would prohibit federal gun restrictions
Sorry, there are no recent results for popular images.