Courier file photo

BLOOMFIELD — The Davis County man accused of indecent contact with a child has been sentenced after entering a guilty plea.

Thomas Russ was sentenced to up to two years in prison, with credit for time served. The sentence also allows for reduction in the time behind bars for good behavior.

The end of the prison will not mean Russ is out from under the eye of the courts system. A special sentence of up to 10 years will follow his release, and the sentencing ordered that he “shall begin the sentence under supervision as if on parole.”

Russ must register as a sex offender for 10 years, and was fined $625.

Another Davis County defendant is asking the court for a lower bond. Timothy Howell faces charges of sexual abuse and kidnapping after authorities say he refused to return a woman to her home after driving her to Missouri to get groceries.

Court documents say the woman told authorities Howell he was taking her to Wisconsin, though Howell refused to say where he was going when they spoke with him by cell phone.

Howell is currently being held in the Davis County Jail on $60,000 bond. His request for a bond hearing asks “that this Court set a bond to an amount that the Defendant or his family could reasonably post.”

The charges against Howell are felonies. The two counts of second degree sexual abuse are Class B felonies, while the kidnapping charge is a Class C felony. Combined, the charges carry a potential sentence of 60 years in prison.

In other area cases:

Walter Jones’ trial on charges of sexual abuse and lascivious acts with a child has been moved to Aug. 26. It had been scheduled to begin July 23.

Filings in Larry Clabaugh’s appeal show he is asking the Iowa Supreme Court to send his case back to district court for a third time. The brief claims Clabaugh left his second trial after swelling in his ankle after a surgery two weeks prior caused significant pain. Clabaugh, “as a result … would follow his doctor’s advice and directions and did not remain for the trial.

The district court entered a default judgement in that trial, Clabaugh’s second in a suit by the city over property he owns on North Court Street. Clabaugh failed to attend his first trial, but his attorney at the time successfully argued for a new trial by saying Clabaugh was unavailable due to medical issues.


Managing Editor

Matt Milner currently serves as the Courier's Managing Editor. Milner is a trained weather spotter and is usually outside if there are storms. He joined the Courier in 2002.

Recommended for you