July is winding down, but that doesn’t mean there’s nothing to do in Ottumwa this weekend. Central Park plays host to a variety of activities, and this weekend is a good time to catch a special exhibit before its gone. Here’s a look at some of this weekend’s activities:
1. Live After Five continues its summer series in Central Park Friday. The family event kicks off at 5 p.m. and features music, food and a beverage garden. This week’s band is Jennifer Lynn Handling and Revolution. Bring lawn chairs or a blanket and enjoy the atmosphere.
2. Head over to the Wapello County Historical Museum to catch the World War I Honor Roll before it departs next week. If you haven’t seen it yet, this weekend would be a good time to catch it. In recognition of the centennial anniversary of the war, the honor roll features thousands of names and corresponding photos collected from Iowa families who lost loved ones during the war. Hours are noon to 4 p.m. Wednesday through Saturday. All veterans receive free admission to the exhibit.
3. Ottumwa Public Library is hosting its monthly board game day Saturday. From 9 a.m. to 5 p.m., stop in to play one of your favorites or a classic. Games will be played in the children’s area. All ages are welcome, and no registration is required.
4. Want to catch a movie under the stars? Main Street Ottumwa is hosting another installment of Central Park Cinema Saturday with a screening of “Incredibles 2.” The movie gets going at dusk, and free kids’ activities will be available before the show. Concessions will be available for purchase as well.
5. Grab your clubs and head over to Cedar Creek Golf Course for the 13th annual Elks Scholarship Golf Tournament. The event runs from 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. Saturday with three flights. There will be 50/50 raffle holes, hole prizes throughout the tournament and a grand prize for a hole in one. Reservations can be made by calling Cedar Creek at 641-683-0646 or Dan Gullion at 641-954-2453. Prepayment ($200 per team or $50 per person, including cart) is appreciated and may be sent to 413 S. Iowa Ave. or paid at the golf course.
Features Editor Tracy Goldizen can be reached via email at firstname.lastname@example.org or followed on Twitter @CourierTracy.