It’s going to be a weekend of performing arts with performances in Fairfield, Ottumwa and Eddyville. There’s also a chance for family fun and the opportunity to meet with the area’s legislators. Here's a glimpse of what’s happening this weekend:
1. The Wapello County Children’s Alliance is sponsoring a family fun night at Ottumwa Public Library from 5:30-8 p.m. Friday. The free event will include supper and crafts, games, some Legos and movies.
“Part of our mission is to provide family-friendly events for the Ottumwa community, and this is a perfect way to spend quality time together as a family at no cost,” said Ottumwa Public Library Director Sonja Ferrell. “We are working with the Children’s Alliance to provide a free night where activities are available to all families in the area.” While the event is free, organizers need an idea of how many people to expect. Questions or reservations may be directed to 641-682-7563.
2. The Ottumwa Community School District is hosting several performances this weekend. Friday evening is the All City Concert at 7 p.m. at Bridge View Center. The concert will feature fourth-grade recorders, the fifth-grade band and orchestra, sixth-grade band, the seventh- and eighth-grade band and the middle school orchestra. On Saturday and Sunday, head over to Evans Middle School for a performance of “The Wizard of Oz.” Around 40 EMS students have been working for several months to put on the classic musical. Performances are set for 7 p.m. Saturday and 4 p.m. Sunday.
3. Fairfield First Fridays, Pathfinders RC&D, Historic Hills Byway and the University of Iowa have partnered to create a theater crawl that will run from 6-9 p.m. at various locations near Central Square Park. Performances will take place every half hour for the duration of the crawl. Theater groups will present at 10-12 minute vignette of a performance, allowing theater-goers time to find their way to another venue. Groups will perform the same vignette every half hour at their designated location. For more information, contact Marla Brader, 641-233-8883, firstname.lastname@example.org; or Diana Hughell, 641-472-6177, email@example.com.
4. Students from Eddyville-Blakesburg-Fremont High School will present “Dracula of Transylvania” this weekend. The performance is based on an adaptation by Christofer Cook, with Dacre Stoker, one of Bram Stoker’s descendants, as an advisor. Cook will be at the performances for meet-and-greet and book signings. Friday and Saturday performances are set for 7 p.m. with a 2 p.m. matinee Sunday.
5. The final forum of the 2019 legislative session will run from 9:30-10:30 a.m. Saturday in the community room at Southern Iowa Mental Health Center, 1527 Albia Road. The forum is co-sponsored by the League of Women Voters, Ottumwa Area Chamber of Commerce, the Ottumwa Convention and Visitors Bureau and Southern Iowa Mental Health. Each of the area legislators has been invited, and they will each have the opportunity to make two-minute opening and closing statements, and will each be allowed to answer all questions from the audience.
Features Editor Tracy Goldizen can be reached via email at firstname.lastname@example.org or followed on Twitter @CourierTracy.