Southeast Iowa is full of activity this weekend. Take a look and see what’s going on:
1. Want to take in some art history? Get a rare look at the inside of the American Gothic House in Eldon. The monthly summer tour runs from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Saturday. While there, explore the museum and get a photo in front of one of the art world’s most iconic backdrops. For more information, call 641-652-3352 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
2. Head out to Pioneer Ridge this weekend for the Iowa ASA Federation state championship. Registration starts at 8 a.m. with a 10 a.m. shotgun start Saturday and Sunday. Entry fees vary by age with awards being presented after Sunday’s round. Those who have not qualified for the event may shoot a fun round for a fee, and a five-target animal practice range will be available for an additional fee. For more information, contact Mike Smith at 641-242-0486.
3. Batavia will be a hopping place this weekend with its Batavia Days celebration. The event kicks off at 6 a.m. Saturday with breakfast at the Batavia Masonic Lodge. Breakfast ends at 9 a.m., in time for people to make it over to the parade at 10 a.m. The Batavia Fire Department will host a brats and pork sandwich lunch, as well as an ice cream social. Kids games begin at the community center’s pavilion at 11:15 a.m. Sunday continues the celebration with a painting event at 1:15 p.m. at the Batavia Community Center; there is a fee for this part of the weekend.
4. The Outlaw Rebel Riders will host a bike night Saturday at 305 S. Iowa Ave. The event is from 5-10 p.m. and will include cornhole, food and drinks, and karaoke. Proceeds from the event will help purchase blankets, winter clothing and aid for homeless and low-income people in the community, as well as gifts from Santa, which will be given in December.
5. Head out to the Wapello County Expo Grounds Sunday evening as the Wapello County Expo kicks off with the royalty pageant at 7 p.m. More than 30 contestants will vie for titles across four age groups: King and Queen; Prince and Princess; Duke and Duchess; and Little Miss and Mister Clover. For a detailed listing of the Expo schedule, visit www.extension.iastate.edu/wapello.
Features Editor Tracy Goldizen can be reached via email at email@example.com or followed on Twitter @CourierTracy.