Those dead batteries now seem like a blessing in disguise.

Despite the extreme cold that hit Tuesday night/Wednesday morning, both cars started without issue. When Jason got home from work this morning, I told him it was a good thing we had both replaced our car batteries recently. He agreed.

Some believe women have a natural intuition. As we were standing in the driveway on a 90-degree Sunday in September, I said it was a good thing that his battery died on a warm, weekend day.

We were getting ready that afternoon to head to Osky for a couple of Logan’s fall baseball games. He had caught a ride there with some friends for warmups while we finished up some chores around the yard and house. We got in the car to head up — we were actually running ahead of schedule for once — and nothing happened when Jason pressed the start button. He tried attaching the trickle charger to the battery to get a jump, and nothing.

After a few more tries, Jason removed the old battery and he, Colin and I hopped in my car to head to the parts store for a new battery. As we were driving, I sent a message to Logan and his friends’ parents that we were dealing with a dead car battery but planned on getting there a soon as we could. I hate missing his baseball games, and I wanted him to know we were trying to get there.

Once we got home with the new battery, Jason got it in place and, voila, the car started. At the time, we were very glad it happened on a Sunday afternoon rather than Monday morning, when my husband was due for work at 6:30 a.m.

Fast forward a couple months. Fall had arrived with a bit of winter chill in the air. It was one of the first days we had seen frost for the season, and my car was running a bit sluggishly. I simply thought it was due to the cold.

On a Friday evening, I thought I had started my car from my desk to warm it up before I headed home — I’m also thankful for remote start — but it wasn’t doing anything when I headed outside. I couldn’t get it to start the normal way either, so I made a phone call.

Shortly after, Jason showed up, and we tried to jump it. Unfortunately, it was too dark to really see what we were doing, so we both hopped and Jason’s car and went home for the evening.

Saturday morning, we were able to jump it and get it to the shop. Since the air was a bit nippy and because it’s really difficult to reach the battery compartment in my car, we elected to have the mechanics replace that one. Voila, I had a working car again.

When I woke up to negative 42-degree wind chills Wednesday morning, I went downstairs and started my car from the kitchen. Like clockwork.

Like I said, maybe those dead batteries were a blessing in disguise. The remote start is just a bonus.

Tracy Goldizen is the Courier's features and magazine editor, leading production of the award-winning "Ottumwa Life" and the Courier's other magazine offerings. She began work with the Courier on the copy desk.

Recommended for you